Chapter Five

Hey Everyone! I changed this story a bit. I have rewritten the first four chapters so If you aren't a new reader then it may not make sense until you re read the first 4 chapters, sorry about this but I didn't like the direction it was going so I completely reinvented it. Story line is the same though. :) This chapter is not edited, if you liked it please vote for it :) :) :) Happy reading lovelies <3

Previously:

Glass was scattered on the floor. By an outsider, the shop must have looked like a tornado had swept away everything. More tears fell as a I swept up the glass. Caius came up behind me and took the broom from my shaking hands.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his face laced with worry.

"I forgot." I cried. "I forgot about her, how-"

"Maybe we should go. We can clean this later, huh?" Caius whispered, wiping a tear away with his thumb. "We shouldn't be here when he wakes."

We both glanced over at my father. Wiping my tears on my sleeve, I nodded slowly before grabbing my coat.

"Yeah maybe we shouldn't."

CHAPTER FIVE

As suspected, the night was chilly. Snow was falling at a pace which the town couldn't keep up with. It was too far to walk to my house from here. The dangerous terrain of the countryside loomed in the back of my mind when considering going home. Fog lingered around the corners of the town, its smoky presence making it difficult to see past my hand.

Caius' house was a small apartment of the other side of town. He unlocked the door carefully before running to light some candles. I flicked the switched the lights to find the electricity had blown. Carefully moving forward, I see Caius light multiple candles before leading me into a small room. It wasn't any bigger than my room at home. A desk with papers shrewd all over was crammed in the right corner of the room. A small sofa sat to the left facing a fireplace with a small T.V mounted above it. The small, white kitchen was back to the left of the front door as you walked in, its sterile feeling making me shiver in the cool winter night. To the right was a dark hallway which led to the bedrooms.

"Lay her here, I'll put the kettle on," He spoke softly.

Carrying Emilia to the sofa, I laid her down on the worn cushions before letting out a gentle yawn.

Making my way back to the kitchen, I stood quietly next to Caius as he made two hot chocolates. I looked at his face, which contained concentration as he mixed the drinks gently.

"Why are you being so nice?" I said, taking a mug from his hand, holding it in my own in attempt to warm up my frozen fingers.

"Why did you let me into the shop that night?" He answered.

I frowned. He asked a question I didn't have an answer to. In some circumstances I guess I could have said it was the right thing to do, but I bit my tongue.

The fire which Caius had lit crackled slightly as we sat down on the sofa.

"There's a bedroom at the back, first door on the left, you and Emilia can share it, I'll take the sofa."

I took a long glug of my hot cocoa before replying a small "thanks."

We sat in comfortable silence for a while before he broke the silence.

"You know, when I first saw you, I didn't think you were going to let me in." He said. "I was running from those men, and you just opened the door. No questions. I've never really thanked you for that."

I glanced at him. He was looking down at his mug, his fingers tracing the rim of the glass.

I nodded my head. I was still curious about why those men were chasing him, but I didn't ask questions. I knew there must have been a legitimate explanation why Caius was running from them that day. I had spent that whole night going over those moments when I had first met him.