Chapter Twenty Seven

Hey lovelies, here is an update. More coming soon! Enjoy xx

Chapter 27

Owen stepped down from the post, letting out a breath. Heading down the hall, he swiped his ID pass, the door in front of his sliding open. Working his way through the labyrinth of corridors, he soon reached his room. Swinging the door open with aggression, he didn't flinch when it slammed against the plaster wall, stubbing a small hole in the finishing before leaning over the small porcelain sink in his bathroom. Looking up at his reflection, he saw the green of his contacts glare back at him.

That was too close. He thought, before jamming his fingers into his eyes and popping the contacts onto the bench beside him.

He had to be more careful. Something as simple as a haircut nearly gave him away, and despite the files and folders f information on Caius and Clara, everyone has intimate moments that spies and money can't replicate.

He splashed water onto his face before dragging his hand across his stubbled cheeks. He wouldn't sleep tonight, he knew that. Instead, he grabbed his handgun, and the brown manila folders resting on his nightstand and exited his room, stopping for a moment to regard the small puncture the door handle had made on his way in. His brown eyes scanned briefly before turning to the hall.

Next time, he will do better. He was determined to not have the next time.

"Phase two is a go, sir."

"Are you sure you are ready for phase two?" Matteo exclaimed, tapping his gun against the cherrywood of his desk.

"I am, sir."

Matteo stood up, fastening the button on his blazer before making his way around his desk. Leaning into Owen's ear, he pressed his gun against the man's back, twisting the metal into the flesh.

"Fuck this up, and I'll put a bullet in your head."

Owen did not dare to look at Matteo, instead of keeping his eyes on the framed painting which hung on the wall in front of him.

He winced, feeling the gun press deeper into his abdomen.

"Get out of my office." Matteo presses once more before turning back to his desk. "Now."

"Yes sir."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caius

After the attack, I had fallen unconscious. The dust had settled and when I woke, I was the only one left laying on the broken ground, red staining the floor, and my mind as I remembered Clara, the pool which had accumulated beneath her body, far too much to survive.

Bodies still lingered, but non that I wanted to see. Where was she? The space had dried slightly, the sun beaming high in the sky, but for how long? Grabbing my side, I pressed down on my ribs before bringing my hand up. Blood. I staggered up, before making my way out into the sunshine.

The sun was hot. Far warmer than days prior, a slight breeze in the air did nothing to cool the temperature. Car's drove by a street over as if nothing had happened. The streets are busy with the homeless and daily walkers, on their commute to work and school.

I slung my gun into its holster before limping down the pavement, my feet dragging uncomfortably behind me.

After fifteen minutes, I stepped into a pharmacy, the door dinging as I entered. I grabbed some bandages, painkillers, and a bottle of vodka before making my way to the counter.

"Good afternoon-"The old lady began before she looked at me in horror. Her eyes darted to the red stain which grew with each breath then back to my face.

I pulled out my wallet and waited. "Just these, thanks."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matteo scanned the monitors, watching as Clara slept. What a pretty face. It would be such a shame to let her go to waste. But he had to. Big Johnny already knew she was important to Caius. The only difference between him and Big Johnny was that when Matteo fired, he didn't miss.

"Sir." A blond-haired man approached him, his blue eyes flickering to the monitors before settling on Matteo.

"What is it?"

"Big Johnny has requested a meeting. Tuesday. 5 pm."

"If Big Johnny expects us to play nice, he's mistaken. He failed once, it's clear that if I want the job done, I must do it myself. Fucking imbeciles."

"What do you want me to reply sir?"

Matteo looked at the young recruit, and smiled, he wouldn't last long. No one does. Another waste.

"I'll leave him a personal message." Matteo grinned.

"What do you mean..." BANG.

The boy dropped onto the floor, his blue eyes frozen with shock. Matteo wiped his gun clean before shouting.

"Owen, make sure Big Johnny gets this message, will you?"

Owen glanced down at the young boy, before nodding.