66TH ANNUAL HUNGER GAMES.

"SO MANY OTHERS BEFORE HER

"SO MANY OTHERS BEFORE HER..."

---¤☆¤---

ATHENA GREY LOVED HER MOTHER DEARLY. She also loved her father. But, she loved her mother more. It was harsh, but it was the truth. She loved her mother more. She was her mother. Her rock. Her biggest supporter. Her favorite person. She loved how her mother viewed the world with a calm grace. Kind to everyone, even to some of the foul Peacekeepers. Always having something new to show her. To teach her. 

Athena had many happy memories of her mother. Many moments that she cherished fondly for years to come. Like the time she taught her how to make flower crowns, spending hours in the nearby meadows, braiding together daisies. Or whenever she told her stories about her grandmother, how she was a singer for a band long ago. She loved everything about her mother. 

Her father, on the other hand, was her least favorite. She did love him. But, he was cold and distant. She had a few happy memories with him, but they blurred as time went on. She would see him at dinner sometimes, but it wasn't that rare for her to eat her meals with just her Mom. She could sometimes hear him as she drifted off to sleep, wishing her a good night. 

But, how could she love someone when they weren't in her life that often? How could she confidently say that she loved her Dad, when it felt like they were merely roommates? Passing by each other in the halls. Only interacting every once in a while. Sometimes having conversations. She felt like her Father was a stranger in her Mom's house. It didn't mean that she didn't want his approval. 

He was someone she looked up to and for him to approve of her, even a small complement, it would mean everything. It was something she really wanted, even if she didn't want to admit it to herself. She wanted him to look at her with a proud smile on his face. She wanted that approval. To be told that she did a really good job. That he was so proud of her.

---¤𖠁¤---

Reaping Day has come too soon this year, in my opinion. It felt like just yesterday Finnick Odair, the male tribute of District 4, was getting crowned Victor of the 65th Hunger Games. He was only fourteen when he won, making him the youngest Victor in the entirety of the Games, but he recently turned fifteen during his Victory tour. He had no choice but to celebrate his fifteen birthday in District 8 rather than at home with his family.

The thought of winning the Games and having to celebrate my birthday on my Victor Tour, brought a wave of emotions in me; disgust, anger, fear, and sadness. It was horrible. I couldn't imagine what it was like for him. Waking up in a place wondering where in the country you were today. Going down the table, expecting to see your parents. When you remember that they weren't there. Instead of being surrounded by people you loved and knew, you were in a strange place surrounded by people who you didn't know that well.

It made me pity him. I had seen him on the screen, smiling and thanking the Capitol for everything on his Victory tour. I even saw him when he visited, though, he looked like a small blob from where I was standing. But even far away, I could see the haunting look in his eyes that said it all. He was scared and wanted to go home. He didn't want to do it anymore. He didn't want to pretend all was well.