8.

"LET THEM HURT YOU

"LET THEM HURT YOU..."

---¤☆¤---

DAY ONE OF THE GAMES.

Picking at her bottom lip with her teeth, she could feel the sharp intake of everyone as they walked around the room. Five minutes, that's all they had left. Stealing glances at Mercy, the girl was dead set on staring at the ground, her hands curled into tight fists. Forcing her eyes away from Mercy, she couldn't help but feel guilt bubbling inside of her like it was a nasty disease.

Was time really moving that fast? Or was she just that just absorbed in the Capitol that she wasn't paying attention to anything? Why wasn't she doing more for Mercy? How could she fail her? Why was she failing her? Biting down on her bottom lip hard, her eyes darted to the clock, four minutes left. How was she supposed to help save her life in four minutes?

"All eyes will be on us today, something I am not opposed to. I look rather stunning today." Celia giggles, "I mean, after all, we are the breakout stars! All thanks to our darling, Athena~"

"Celia, I'm only going to say this once. Shut it."

"I beg your pardon? Shut it? Shut it?! I am simply stating that this is a⎯" Celia rants, her voice squeaky.

Shutting her eyes tightly, she tries to block out Celia's irritating voice. She didn't want to hear 'how much of an honor this was'. Her hands shake, was it from anger? Anxiety? Both? She didn't know. She just wanted all of this to be over. She wanted to never have to think or hear about the Games ever again. Feeling a tug on the sleeve of her jacket, she peeks her eyes open. Half expecting to see Klaus standing there, disappointed look in hand.

"I don't think things are going to be nice." Mercy mutters, "In the Arena, I mean."

"What?" Athena mutters, raising a brow at the sudden revelation.

"During training most of the Gamemakers glared at us. Like..." She pauses, her voice trailing off at the end. "It was like they blamed us for something. Did I..Did I do something wrong?"

"Wait, what?" Athena blubbers out, her brain trying to process what was just said.

Turning her head to look at Mercy, for the first time in the last few days, Mercy looked like a real fifteen year old girl. Her bottom lip quivering and eyes brimming with hot tears. She didn't look like the tough 'killer' they had packaged over the last few days. Opening her mouth to speak, nothing came out, she couldn't get out anything. Shit.

Looking over at Klaus for help, he's too busy chatting with Jacob and Pixie, the group deep in conversation. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. What was she supposed to say? Should she hug her? What the fuck was she supposed to do in this kind of a situation? Klaus never trained her for this! Blinking dumbly, her face burns a bright red as she tries to get something out.