9.

"ODDS ARE IN YOUR FAVOR

"ODDS ARE IN YOUR FAVOR..."

---¤☆¤---

"What do you plan on doing in there?" I ask, Ares attempting to make some small talk.

"Nothing too big, show off what I learned with axes. I learned this pretty cool trick, where you throw it in the air and catch it. Why are you planning?" He said, rubbing his hands on his knees.

"I might show them a knife trick. I learned this trick from Brutus where you use S.I.N.G. and when they're distracted you press a knife to their throat. If I have time, I'll play around with some plants I learned about over the past few days." I explain, as he nods before pausing.

"Maybe, avoid the plants. We want a good score, you know? Plants aren't as interesting as a knife trick." He said, as I nod in understanding.

Falling into a comfortable silence, I drum my thumbs against the bench attempting to keep my mind at bay for a moment. I was nervous. This moment could change my life for the better or for the worst. Sucking on my bottom lip, I focus on the tap against the bench, taking a deep breath with the rhythm. Tap, pause, tap, tap, tap, pause, repeat.

Hearing the dinging of a bell, I look up to see the door opening up and Peacekeeper's stepping out from inside. Glancing around at us, I could feel Ares tense up from beside me, it was his turn already. Stopping my tapping, my gut clenches as a Peacekeeper turns his head to me. Black visor hiding his eyes.

"Ares Greenwood." A voice calls out.

Nodding his head, he stands up from his seat, shaking his hands as if he was waving off his nerves. Not that I blamed him. Rolling his shoulders back, he takes his time approaching the Peacekeeper's, purposely walking through the rows of benches. Jerk. Looking over his shoulder to me, he flashes a nervous smile before turning back to the open door. He's got this. He's gonna do really well. I just know it.

"Good luck." I said, biting my bottom lip

"You too, remember to focus and do your best." He said, with his back still to me.

Half heartedly giving him a nod, I watched as he walked into the room, leaving me alone. Feeling my mood dampen as I am left alone, I go back to focusing on the tapping of the bench. Tap, pause, tap, tap, tap, pause, repeat. Staring blankly at the granite floor, my breathing matches the rhythm of the tapping.

Suddenly remembering a song that my Mom had taught me, 'I Choose', she had called it. I imagine the soft beating of drums, then the soft sounds of a violin playing. The sound of a piano playing. Drubbing my foot to the beat, I hum the lyrics under my breath.

"Through the glass, over the wall..Looking for something new..Wake from the dream, forget about the past.."  I quietly sang, humming to the beat in my head.

---¤𖠁¤---

Humming quietly, I feel eyes burning into the side of my head, I turn my head to see who is staring at me. I found Lizzy and her District partner staring at me. Turning my head away, my leg bounced up and down as nerves and doubts ran through my mind. It was just me and the other kids from District 11 and 12. It was just us.