6.

"THE CRUELTY OF THIS WORLD

"THE CRUELTY OF THIS WORLD..."

---¤☆¤---

Sitting on the couch, we watched the credits roll from the parade taking in all of my opportunities. The Career districts were an equal mix of intimidating and 'pathetic' according to Klaudius. The boy from One and the girl from Two looked annoyed with their partners, and they seemed pissed to be here. Maybe they didn't want to volunteer? Or maybe something happened between the districts?

"That is all for tonight folks! Stay tuned for breaking news about the latest gossip of the last years Victor, Finnick Odair! And don't forget to place your bets for this year's Games! I'm Cesar Flickerman, signing off." Cesar announces, as the T.V rolls credits. 

Looking at Klaudius for some kind of advice or snarky comment about them, Ares lets out a loud yawn before stretching across the couch. Reminding me of a cat. Rolling his shoulders backwards, they loudly pop and crack making me cringe at the sound. Letting out a sigh of enjoyment, I crinkle my nose in disgust as the sounds continue for a good minute. Then, it stops.

"I'm going to bed, night everyone." Ares announces, yawning.

"Night." Klaudius nods, waving him off.

"Good night." I said, giving him a small smile.

Watching as he drags himself to his bedroom, I lazily glance back at Klaudius to see him drumming his fingers on the arms rest. Tap, pause, tap, pause. He hadn't really given us much advice on who to avoid and who to talk to while watching the parade. He just made comments of, 'Damn, he is definitely a tall one' and 'Their stylist definitely hates them'. They were amusing, but they wouldn't keep me alive in the Arena.

Hearing Ares's door click shut, Klaudius turns his attention back onto me; a stressed expression on his face. Crap. Feeling the happy atmosphere melt away, my smile dies as I see he was being dead serious. Crap. Watching as his knee bounces up and down, I could feel the nerves radiating off of him, it was practically oozing out of his skin.

"Now that Ares is gone, I want to talk to you. Do you trust him?" He asks, making me blink as I try to process what he had just said.

"What?" I ask, flabbergasted.

"Do you trust him? Do you trust him to watch over you when you sleep? Do you trust him to have your back? Do you trust him to keep you alive? Do you, Athena?" He questions.

"I⎯um⎯I don't⎯should I?" I ask, unsure what to say.

"Sweetheart, do you trust me?" He asks.

"I⎯um⎯I guess." I said, unsure.

"Do you trust me to keep you alive?" He asks, making me furrow my brows.

I didn't know what he was going with all of this. Or what he was trying to hint at. Should I not trust him? Should I not trust Ares? Was this his way of telling me he wasn't going to help me? Was he trying to show me that I was on my own for the rest of the games? Did he think Ares would win? Was I going to die in seven days?