13.

"HAVE A GOOD NIGHT, MISS TRINKET

"HAVE A GOOD NIGHT, MISS TRINKET.."

---¤☆¤---

THE VICTOR'S APARTMENTS, 3:00 AM.

Silent tears stream down her face, dread brewing in her gut. She could not protect her. She could not protect Athena. She could not protect her sweet smile and innocence anymore. She had fucking failed Athena in every way possible. Feeling her bottom lip tremble even more, she harshly wipes her eyes clean of tears with the back of her hand. Reaching over to the half empty bottle at her side, Pixie takes a chug out of the bottle, downing the disgusting pixie pink liquor. Hearing Klaus step out onto the patio, she turns her head to look at her colleague.

There's a grave look on his face, a bottle of unnatural green liquor in his hand. Plopping down at her side, she turns away, looking at the skyline. Luxurious apartments and townhomes surround them, homes of wealthy enough people who wanted to be near their precious idols. It made her sick to know that they had that much money. Taking another sip of her drink, fresh tears start to stream down her face, the guilt building up in her chest. She made a promise to Athena, to herself, that she would protect her. And she fucking failed..

"I can't protect her, Klaus. Snow...He.." She trails off, her voice choking up with tears.

"None of us can. She's pretty enough. If she had been born ugly.." Klaus bitterly chuckles, "Then, maybe there'd be hope that she'd be left alone. Be able to spend her days in Ten, in peace.."

"But, like you said, she's pretty enough. Striking grey eyes and dark curls. A sweet innocence to her. That's desirable territory, Klaus." She reminds softly, her eyes lowering to the ground.

"She's smart too. And she kind, so fucking kind, it made me hate her a little bit. How can she be so kind after all of that? How can she look at Haymitch Abernathy and see a good man underneath all of that?" Klaus nods, tears starting to brew in his eyes.

"She's a good kid. I..I think of the best ones we've ever had, Klaus." Pixie whispers, swallowing the lump in her throat.

Sniffling softly as she clears her throat, they sit shoulder to shoulder, tears streaming down both of their faces. Their bottles of liquor in their hands now fully gone and empty. Sharing a look, they looked like mirrors of one another. Their eyes are all puffy and red, their bottom lips trembling as they let out shaky breaths. The lumps in their throats thickening with each passing second.

And to think, Athena was asleep in the room opposite of them, blissfully unaware of the fate that would soon come to her. A 'Capitol Darling'. A 'Capitol Favorite'. A 'desirable'. A glamorized prostitute for the wealthy members of the Capitol, all at the age of fourteen. She was a fucking child, a baby. And they couldn't do anything to stop it.

"Snow wants to sell her. He warned me today.." Pixie states, "I cannot protect her anymore, Klaus. It's already happening.."

"I know that.."