Ch.7 - Nicotiana

Ch.7 - Nicotiana

"There we go." You pulled your hands away from him. "How does that feel?"

Bakugou moved around his arm a bit, not feeling as much pain from the gash he had gotten. With a nod, he stood up and started to look around. This tree was huge, with the branches themselves being big enough for you and him to both stand on comfortably.

A loud cry came from outside and the little amount of light dripping in past the thick leaves darkened as a figure flew past. It seemed the griffin was still searching for those who had taken refuge inside the tree. Or you and Bakugou had really pissed the beast off and it was only setting its sights on you both now.

"So what now?" You spoke, still putting your grudge aside. "Do we climb up? Or down?"

Bakugou thought for a moment and then glanced around. They were much closer to the top of the tree than the bottom. Climbing down might take too long, but climbing up and calling Kirishima to come and get you both might be an idea.

Plus, with the height advantage, the griffin would be easier to hit and subdue. This was still a quest, after all, so he should still try and focus on what the goal was. The griffin came from the top of the tree. So the way he needed to go was obvious.

Bakugou took out his curved blade and slowly started to hit a few parts of the trunk of the tree. After a few trials, he used his strength to lift himself up and began to climb up. You watched him do so, a little annoyed that he was acting without communicating with you.

Bakugou managed to make it to the next branch and glanced down to see how close you were to him. His eye twitched as he saw you being risen by a pair of vines. You smiled gently, swinging back and forth like the vines were nothing more than a swing.

"What?" You coyly smiled at him. "I could have given you a lift if you asked."

You continued up above him, the vines of this tree coming from the top. Bakugou growled, his hands sparking tiny embers. You rolled your eyes and swung your finger. Another vine from above danced down to you and you guided it towards Bakugou.

He took a hold of the vine, tying the ends of it around his ankle for an extra safety measure. He was hoisted up a moment later, noting to himself that this method would allow him to save his strength for the griffin.

The vines stopped at the last branch that would be able to support both of your weights. It wasn't at the tippy top, but it was close enough as the sunlight was pouring through much more here. The top of Bakugou's head was gently touching the leaves above him, the male sighing in irritation that he'd have to walk with his back bent to not drag his head through the leaves.

"I say we follow where the light is coming from." You motioned to where a large glimmer of it showed through.

Bakugou nodded to you again and started to walk. He walked at a brisk speed in front of you, trying to create a good-sized distance. You didn't let him do it easily though, as every few seconds you'd jog forward and get as close as possible to his back. His eye would twitch, something you couldn't see, and then he would speed walk forward again.

You huffed out as he sped walked ahead of you for the fourth time. You knew the pair of you were at odds currently, but you had hoped he'd put the grudge aside since this situation was dangerous. He must really dislike your presence, as he wouldn't even acknowledge that you were here aside from curt nods.

Little did you know that Bakugou was very much aware of your presence. Much more than he could rationally tell himself was normal. It didn't help that the bandage that was wrapped around his arm was one of your soft fabrics. Every now and then, the gentle scent of you hit his nose and made him internally growl at himself. It didn't help that you were trying to get closer to him either. So, he tried his best to ignore you, as, like a child, he assumed the problem would disappear if he pretended it didn't exist.