Ch.8- Mandragora Officinarum

"If you intend to act like a beast, why not become one?"

His eyes shot open, his body sitting upwards at a speed just as quick. He huffed, throwing his hands over his body, checking to see. He could feel the coolness of his skin, the softness of his hair, and even the few rough areas on him from various injuries that had decided to stay with him.

He... was still him.

"Oh! You're up!"

His eyes widened, his memories of what had happened before coming back to him. He whipped his head around to spy the half-elf looking at him. She was carrying a stack of wood, her face looking relieved.

The area he had woken up in looked to be a small camp: a fire, some makeshift blankets, or rather... various plants weaved and twisted together to act as such, and some collected food from the forest.

Bakugou didn't say anything as you came over and crouched down beside him. Your hand pressed against his forehead and you stared at him for a moment. He inhaled sharply, a tinge of pink coming onto his cheeks. Just what in the hell was wrong with him?

You sighed. "Oh good. Looks like the fever's broken."

Bakugou blinked. "Fever?"

You nodded. "You were burning up for the last couple of hours."

His eyes fell. "That wasn't because of a damn fever."

You could tell from his tone that there was something else there, but, that could wait to be asked about. Right now, you just wanted to make sure he really was okay. So you stood up, going towards an area parallel to him, the fire now between you.

When you returned, you were holding a small canteen in one hand and a large leaf in the other. He was handed both and his stomach growled. The canteen smelled of some sort of tea, and the leaf was being used as a plate. On that plate, there were various berries and pieces of fish.

"Eat up!" You smiled at him. "I worked hard to find us something to eat!"

He didn't say anything, but you could tell he was enjoying the food from how quickly he scarfed it down. You didn't even need him to ask you for more, instead just bring it over when he was running low. You had already eaten your fill, so the rest was for him.

Bakugou chugged down the tea in the canteen, a little bit dribbling out of his mouth from how quickly he was drinking it. He exhaled, wiping away the liquid on his face with the back of his hand. He sucked in a few more breaths and then turned his gaze back to you.

You were still hovering, looking at him with kind eyes. Weren't you just pissed at him? Damn indecisive half-elf...

"I'm so glad you're okay." Your voice cracked a little bit. "I was so worried after what happened."

He looked at you, something in his gut making him brace for what exactly you had seen. How much of it you had seen...

"Did you see?" He pressed you without a second thought.

"Saw what?" You asked him.

He gritted his teeth. "You fucking saw something! I used that damn magic after all!!"

You inhaled slowly and then nodded. Awe, he was talking about what had knocked him out in the first place. That strange blaze had managed to not only save you from a fall and damage the griffon but also get you both so far away from the tree in the first place.

"I saw something... but I'm at a loss at what exactly it was..." You admitted, looking off to the side.

The fire crackled and the forest around you both called out into the night. It did so without interruption for a few moments until Bakugou decided to break it.