Married to the Mafia. Capitulo Treinta y Tres (La Traicion de un Amigo)

I am going to be a mother.

How am I supposed to tell Santi that we're having a baby? We haven't even been dating that long. Will he be happy or upset by the news? So many questions, so many doubts but one thing's for sure...I'm having this baby with or without him. I want to keep my child.

"Gabbs, are you okay?" I looked up to the sound of Nessa's voice. We were all still locked in my bathroom. I was glad to have them here with me, they understood my worries better than anyone else, they were women but above all else they were the only people I could trust to keep this secret quiet.

Well, at least till' I found the right time to tell Santiago.

"I'm still in shock, that's all." I answered my friend. "I wasn't prepared for this. A baby will change my life forever...and Santi's too. What am I going to do?"

Mom walked over to me and hugged my side. "Santi will be supportive, mija. He won't leave your side. He adores you."

Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Yo se que esto no estaba en tus planes, Lucia. Pero un hijo siempre es una bendicion de Dios." Grandma Marlina said wisely. (I know this wasn't in your plans, Lucia. But a child is always a blessing from God)

She was right. I shouldn't be upset about having this baby. 

Sure, I had never pictured myself being a mother at a young age but everything happens for a reason. This baby was conceived with love...the love Santi and I feel for each other.

"I don't want anyone to find out" I spoke to all of them. "I need to tell Santiago first and then we can tell everyone else."

****

I was hanging out with Nessa and Sofia in the living room watching a movie while my mom and grandma went off to the kitchen to start dinner for all of us. Sofi was engrossed on the film and Nessa was dozing off in her seat.

I felt someone sink down next to me, he picked up my legs and put them on his lap.

"Santi told me you weren't feeling well. What's wrong?" Joel put a hand over my forehead, feeling my temperature.

I smiled and slapped his hand away. "I'm fine, now. Why would he tell you out of all people?"

"He called me before going into his meeting to run some errands for him and asked me to check on you when I got home."

Santi asked his brother to check on me? He must be really worried if he asked Joel to do that for him.

"Well, you go tell your brother that everything is okay. Thank you."

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Did the doctor already take a look at you?"

"He left a while ago." I lied, "Said I probably got sick from eating too many tostadas."

That made him laugh.

This was the first time I ever heard him laugh. He'd been acting so carefree and friendly around me these past few days, it was refreshing to see this side of him.

Could this mean we could all get along better? Could a reconciliation between Santiago and Joel happen in the near future? That would make Don Ernesto extremely happy. I could see how much it hurt him to see that his sons don't get along.

"If Santiago made those tostadas, I'm not surprised you got sick."

I narrowed my eyes. "Like you could do any better!"

"I'll have you know I'm an excellent cook."

"Bullshit"

"I'm serious!" he said with a large grin. "I'll cook a nice meal for you and Santi one of these days. Just so I can rub it on his face a little too."