Married to the Mafia. Capitulo Veintiocho (La Guerra Comienza)

The next day Sofia and Daniel ended up arriving a bit later than expected, and as soon as Dany walked through the door they went  into the meeting room and got straight to business. Mike had no problem joining them since his wife was entertained with us.

"You girls don't know how relieved I feel to be among a group of girlfriends." Claire gushed excitedly to my friends and I.

We were sitting outside by the garden having drinks and talking.

"Why do you say it like that?" Sofi asked our new friend.

Claire laughed taking a sip of her martini. "Ever since I got married I've always been following Mike everywhere. With Mike being the leader of a cartel in California he's always having to travel and I always choose to go with him. Don't want him wandering off with some whore...this business attracts a lot of easy women to powerful men."

"We know." my friends and I said at the same time.

Which made Claire burst out laughing. "Already dealing with the struggles of being Married to the Mafia?"

"Nice way of putting it." Nessa snorted. "If it's like this now...imagine how it will be when we marry them."

It shocked me to hear Vanessa talking about getting married to Leo...no, actually it shocked me to hear Vanessa talking about marriage in general.

Ness has always been a tough and free-spirited girl who always cringed at the thought of being tied down to a man for the rest of her life, but look at her now...head over heels in love with a guy.

"How is it living this kind of life, Claire?" Sofi asked her curiously.

"It's not easy, I can tell you that." Claire replied truthfully. "I live in fear that Mike will get captured and sent to jail, you guys know the U.S. government is a lot more strict when it comes to keeping a drug dealer locked up. "

No matter how much I love Santi, the fact is that he sells drugs for living. And if he were ever to be captured by uncorrupted authorities he would probably spend the rest of his life in prison for being the leader of a dangerous and powerful cartel.

"My life is certainly a lot more exciting, though" she continued. "I have everything I've ever dreamed of, I've gotten to see places I never thought I would be able to visit, Mike buys me everything I want.... but all the money Mike has is worthless compared to his love. He's the love of my life and I'm  happy with him."

"I'm so gl-"

Several loud gun shots were heard outside the mansion and we jumped, startled by the loud noise.

"OH MY GOD!"

"WHAT'S GOING ON?"

One of our guards walked in through the glass slide door and motioned us over to him.

"We're being attacked by Los Zetas. We need to get you out of here!" he said frantically We walked inside to see a bunch of gunmen running up and down the staircase. 

"GABRIELA!" I heard Santi yell out my name followed by running footsteps.

Santi and the rest of the guys ran over to where the guard had us huddled in a group under the stairs and each couple hugged their significant other after making sure we were all okay.

"We have to get out of here!"

"Roger, call Chamuco and tell him to have the trucks ready, we're all going through the back door in the garden. That's our only option right now." Santiago ordered the guard standing next to me.

Roger pulled out his walkie and followed the order. All the men that were with us carried a hand-gun with them so they were prepared for any battle that was about to break out.