Chapter Twelve

Once unsaddled, Levi handed his horses reins over to a soldier before following after his squad into the scout's headquarters. The triple story building was planted on a massive acre of land, surrounded by one of the largest forests within the walls, the trees circling the base like a moat. It was the best area to practice on ODM gear and learn serval survival techniques if you ever got stranded outside the walls. Levi was quite proud to have his own living quarters inside the massive mansion-like house. Not many Captain's had the privileges he did, and despite refusing the offered quarters from Erwin several times, the blond managed to talk him into it. Levi never spent much time in the scout's headquarters and whenever he did, he allowed himself the luxury it offered.

Once inside the base, Levi directed his squad outside the meeting area where Hange and Erwin were most likely waiting for him. He trailed behind his uncle, keeping an eye on the taller man. Levi had expected Kenny to disappear the moment they made it within range of their headquarters, but the man surprised him when he decided to stick around.

Levi couldn't figure out why the man was risking his discovery. It must have been some reward for him to stroll casually alongside them without having to keep his guard up. Levi decided to worry about his uncle's motives after talking with Erwin and Hange. It wasn't like there was much he could do about Kenny now anyway.

Up ahead, Levi took note of Mike's figure just outside the meeting hall. The tall blond swept his gaze over his squad, settling on a few of them before turning his attention towards Kenny.

"The tall, dark and creepy person Nanaba mentioned?" Mike questioned, flickering his eyes towards Levi. "He smells-"

"We're in a bit of a hurry," Levi cut the blond out. The last thing he wanted his squad to hear was more reason not to trust Kenny. "Mind escorting the brats to some rooms?"

Understanding dawned upon Mike's features before he straightened, addressing his squad. "You heard your Captain. I'll help you all get settled in."

Before Eren could follow the rest of his squad, Levi grasped his arm and pulled him to the side. "Not you, Eren."

Eren looked down at Levi, his eyebrows furrowed. "Captain?"

"I've set up a place for you. Just follow Mike down the hall and make a left turn. There'll be stairs at the end of the corridor which lead to the second floor. I want you to head to the door closets to the large window, right from the stairs. You think you can manage that?"

Eren seemed like he wanted to ask something, but decided against it. Levi watched as the Shifter offered him a small nod. "Yes, sir."

"Good," Releasing his hold on Eren's arm, Levi tilted his head towards Mike's retreating form up ahead. "Get going. I'll check up with you later."

Eren hesitated, eyeing Kenny and shuffling closer towards Levi. The Captain's lip twitched with amusement. Eren's concern for his safety was always so endearing.

"I'll be fine, brat." Levi tried to give him a reassuring smile. He wasn't sure how effective it was since he was doubtful if he could even smile properly. Eren let out a small sigh, lowering his head so he could hold Levi's eye. When Levi's shoulders unconsciously relaxed under his bright gaze, Eren shuffled on his heels before making his way past Kenny and down the hallway.

"Kid's got it bad," Kenny chuckled beside him, scratching his neck.

Levi ignored his comment. "I'll decide what to do with you after talking with my commander. Until then, I expect you to refrain from killing anyone."

"I can't believe after all this time, you still don't trust me?" Kenny clenched his chest, mocking hurt.

Levi gave him an unimpressed look, leaning against the wall. When Kenny realised he wasn't going to answer, the man 'tched' before flicking his hat back.