Chapter 9: Alison

Alison stared at Harker, waiting for him to crack a smile or to do something to let her know that he was kidding.

He tossed back his drink and stood, walking to the bar and refilling it. "I don't see why you think this is a joke. I'm offering you millions of dollars to have my child." He glanced at her, his frown deeper than normal. "This is a business deal, and I never joke about business."

"Business?" She laughed again but it fell flat when he continued to stare at her without even a spark of humor in his eyes. "You have to be kidding. You're trying to buy my baby? Who does that now-a-days?"

"People buy babies all the time, but they call it adoption." He made another drink for her and walked back across the room, handing it to her. "But I'm not talking about buying your baby. I'm paying you to have mine."

She stared at the two drinks in her hands. She'd barely touched the first one, but maybe she should. She raised one glass to her mouth and took a gulp but then put it down. Now wasn't the time to drink. Later, when she was home and away from this crazy man she could drink–a lot.

"I'm sure this is a shock." He sat, all suave businessman again. "I know it was a shock to me when I first began seeing you as the potential mother of my child."

"Wow. Flattery will get you nowhere but maybe you should try because insulting me will get you even less." She knew she wasn't attractive, but he didn't need to say it.

"I meant no insult." His frown deepened.

"Then double points for you because you managed to do it anyway." She stood. She wasn't staying here for this.

"Are you truly willing to give up millions of dollars and co-ownership of Angel Face because of hurt feelings?"

"That's not why I'm leaving. I just don't sell human beings." She could really use that money, but it was a baby. Her baby. His baby. Gus Harker's baby. She couldn't even fathom it. Would it frown all the time? Yell at her. Mom! I want milk! Now! What's taking you so long? Make that milk faster! She had to dig her nails into her palms to keep from bursting out in hysterical laughter.

"Sit. Please. As I said, I'm sure this is a surprise."

"Yes, you did say that right before you insulted me."

"I did no such thing. I said I was surprised when I started thinking of you as a potential birth mother for my child. I don't know why you'd think that's insulting. You should be flattered."

"Flattered." She was almost speechless. Almost. "Because you want to rent out my uterus?"

"Because I find you extremely intelligent, caring and warm. I only possess the first item in that list." His jaw tightened. "I know my assets as well as my flaws and I want to give my offspring the best start that I can. I'm not a warm person but I am intelligent and driven. I think our genes would create an excellent child."

"Our genes? You act like that's all there is to this."

"It is."

Her mind screeched to a halt. "So we won't...Oh. I'm so sorry." She sat back down. "I was thinking..." She wasn't going to admit that she'd thought they'd actually have sex. He'd laugh and she'd been insulted enough for tonight. "You're right. This might work."

"Of course, I'm right." He stood. "Give me one minute." He walked down the hallway to his office and returned, carrying a large manilla envelope. He handed it to her. "You'll want to hire a lawyer to read through these before signing."

"You drew up a contract?" She shook her head. "Never mind. Of course, you did. It's smart. We need to work out when we'd each see the child and all the logistics."

"When we'd see the child?"

"Yeah. Which holidays you'd have the baby. Which ones I would. We could alternate years. Like I get Easter one year and you the next. Most of the people at my last job were divorced so I know a lot about joint custody issues. We need to get that all settled so the child doesn't suffer."

"There won't be joint custody. The baby will be mine."

"And mine. You need my eggs. Unless...Do you have someone else's eggs you want to use? Do you only want me to carry the baby?" For some stupid reason she was a bit sad about that. She'd never really wanted kids but for those few minutes she'd imagined holding her baby and now she kind of wanted it.

"No. I said that our genes would make an excellent child. I'll need your eggs for that."

"Oh, that's right. You did say that." Her nose wrinkled slightly. "Then the child would be mine too."

"Technically yes, but you'll get co-ownership of Angel Face and I'll get my child."

"Our child and I can't do that." She didn't think she could shake her head any harder. "I'm not selling my baby."

"Not even for mill—"

"Not for any amount." She stood. "Forget it, Harker. Find someone else." She started for the door. Her mother would never forgive her. She'd never forgive herself.

"Wait."

She stopped. Damn that man. He spoke and her body obeyed.

"Remember all the good you can do with that money. Your mom's house. A place for your aunt. Those kids who only need a little help to flourish. Think of all the lives you can make better."

"How would I explain to my baby why I abandoned him or her? For money? So, I could help other kids while leaving him or her alone with you."

"I'll be an excellent father."

"Will you? You said it yourself; you're cold."

"I said I wasn't warm. There's a difference."

"Not to a child and I won't do that to my baby."

"It's millions of dollars."

"I don't care." She hurried toward the door before he could stop her again, but he didn't say a word.