Chapter 15: Alison

"Look it over and let me know if you or your lawyer have any questions. I'll give you a copy of the marriage addendum tomorrow." Harker handed Alison the contract.

"Tomorrow? It's Saturday." This was all moving too fast.

"My lawyer works whenever I need him to."

"Why am I not surprised." She flipped to the first page. "I can't believe I'm actually doing this," she muttered as she began reading the document. "I'm not changing my name." She looked up at him. "What name should we give the baby?"

"I suggest we discover if it's a boy or a girl first."

"No." She laughed. "I mean the last name. I'm not changing my name—"

"The child will have my last name. That's not negotiable."

"Oh." This man was so bossy and arrogant, but she loved knocking him down a peg. "Then I get to pick the first name."

"Fine."

"If it's a boy—"

"You are not naming him Gus. I'm serious about that."

"You agreed. It's my choice." She grinned.

"It is, but not that name."

"Why do you hate your name so much?" She'd never met anyone who had such an aversion to their name. "Gus is a nice name. Strong. A little old fashioned but it fits you."

"I'm not old," he said through gritted teeth.

"I know. I just meant that it fits with your generation."

He inhaled deeply. "That's the same as calling me old."

Alison was quite aware that he was trying to control his temper. People had been doing that around her all her life.

"Please, focus and read the contract. I want this child born before I turn fifty."

She began to read the document again, but hundreds of questions ran through her head and that meant out of her mouth. "When will I have to see the doctor? I'll need to know so I can set a date for the wedding. My mom is going to want a big affair, but I'll convince her that small is better. Only immediate family and a few friends. I don't want anything big because this isn't real. I'll save all the special things for my next marriage." She paused. "My next marriage. I never thought I'd say something like that. I'd always thought that I'd be like my mom and marry once but I guess—"

"We can get the bloodwork done tomorrow. I'll set up the appointment. We can be married on Sunday."

"Sunday? This Sunday? As in two days from now?" Her throat almost closed with panic. This was all happening so quickly.

"Yes, why wait? I told you I want this child to graduate before I'm sixty."

"I know that, but did you set up the appointment with the clinic? I'd imagine that'd take some time. I'm sure they have to run tests and it doesn't always take the first time."

"What clinic? The bloodwork shouldn't—"

"The in vitro fertilization clinic."

He stared at her like she was talking out of her nose.

"You know, so I can get pregnant. Have your baby."

"We aren't going to a clinic."

"We aren't?"

"No."

"Then where? Oh, a hospital. I don't know why I thought it was done at a clinic." She knew almost nothing about in vitro fertilization, but she'd be reading up on it tonight.

"We won't be going to a hospital either, at least not until you're ready to deliver."

"Then where will we go to get me pregnant?"

"Here."

"Here? I've never heard of at home in vitro fertilization."

"We won't be using in vitro fertilization." He seemed amused.

"Then I don't understand. Is there a new way to put your sperm with my egg? In vitro is the only method I've heard of. I haven't done any research on it but—"

"It's not new. Not at all."

She stared at him, confused.

"We'll be doing it the old-fashioned way. I know you've heard of that." His lips twitched like he was fighting not to laugh. "I've heard you complain about your lack of that on several occasions."

"You mean sex?" She blinked. He had to be joking.

"Of course, I mean sex."

"I can't have sex with you." She dropped the contract on the table.