Chapter 18: Harker

"It's time," said Tobias.

Harker turned from the window, his stomach in knots. He'd spent every moment since he'd gone to the bedroom trying to figure out what he should do. He wasn't particularly excited to fuck a woman who couldn't wait to get it all over, including sex with him, but the contracts were signed, and he had a fortune and a business to leave to someone. He refused to give everything he'd worked for to charity and his mother's family wasn't getting a penny.

"It's not too late to change your mind," Tobias whispered. "I don't think anyone here, including the bride, would object."

"She certainly wouldn't as long as she got her partnership and her team." It came out harsher than he'd meant but it was the truth. Alison was even less thrilled about this marriage then he was. At least he'd been interested in creating the baby, but that was before she'd made it perfectly clear how she felt about him.

"Then don't do this. She deserves both. It won't be losing to give her those things."

"And I deserve nothing in return?"

"You deserve to be happy, and I don't think this is going to do that for you."

"I'll be happy when I have my child." He straightened his suit jacket. "Let's get this over with." He almost smiled. That was exactly what Alison had said.

"Harker, think about—"

"My mind is made up."

Tobias shook his head. "You're the most stubborn person I've ever met."

"That's a lie." He headed for the back of the room where the minister was waiting. "You know Merri."

"True." Tobias laughed. "But you take second place."

"I'll accept that." He stopped at the minister's side and Tobias stood by him as his best man.

"You have the ring?" asked the minister.

"Yes." Tobias patted his pocket.

"Good. Good. Let's begin."

The minister's wife, who sat at the piano, began playing the wedding march. Harker turned with the others to see his unwilling bride enter the room, except no one came. Sweat gathered under his collar. Getting stood up at the altar hadn't been on his list of things to do before he died.

"Maybe someone got a lick of common sense," whispered Tobias.

He didn't say anything. Alison had damn well better show. If she'd had second thoughts, the least she could've done was sent him a text. She didn't need to make him look like a fool in front of...

Ellie stepped from behind the doors, a beautiful smile on her pretty face. The constriction around Harker's chest eased as she walked down the aisle, but his gaze was focused behind her, searching for Alison.

He hadn't seen her in almost two days. He'd hoped to catch a glimpse of her when he'd gone to his bedroom, but Ellie has been quick to close the door and all he'd seen was a flash of white. He wouldn't admit it, but he missed Alison—the constant chatter, the way she rambled on spewing any thought that slipped into that brilliant mind of hers. He prayed his child got her brains. No other women on his list had been even close to her in intelligence and drive. Alison worked like her life depended on it. Those two factors were the reasons he'd chosen...All thoughts fled as she stepped into view.

She was beautiful. Her hair was pulled back, framing her pale face. He wanted to yank that hat off her head so he could see her better until his gaze traveled down her body. Fuck. He'd had no idea she had cleavage. Her creamy skin looked softer than silk and the simple white dress hugged her hips, making him want to bend her over his couch or a table—anything as long as her ass was in the air, teasing him, begging him to slap it. His mouth dried as every drop of liquid in his body rushed to his dick.

At least he no longer worried about embarrassing himself on his wedding night but if he didn't get his cock under control, he might embarrass himself during his wedding.