34

D A R I Y A

Being worried about the inevitable was a waste of time and energy. That’s why I didn’t tell Atreus everything, he would try so hard for me to leave before anything happened and that would only worsen the situation at hand.

I stretched my shoulders the most I could, it and my back stiff from sitting in the same position for the past few hours. My hands were cuffed to the table and in plain sight to the four cameras in each corner of the small interrogation room, I was placed in upon arrival.

No doubt were eyes on me. I couldn’t see them but I knew all too well that them, smugly was staring at me from the other side of that blacked window that only showed my reflection. The reflection that I studied and spotted the cameras easily.

I praised the coldness of the jet for making me put on a sweatshirt over the halter top I had on below.

Slouching in my seat, I dropped my head back with a bored sigh. If they wanted to question me, they should’ve got it done a long time ago because they weren’t getting anything from me.

When I arrived, they patted me down and found nothing. I overheard their frustrated words as they took me away about me not having my phone on me.

As soon as Remi told me all he had to on the phone call, I knew what I had to do. When I walked back around the plane and stood behind Atreus, I slipped my phone into the bag he had on hand knowing it had to much information, information that was all too valuable to get into the wrong hands.

Information that made me curse internally. How could she still he alive? I may have been new to the business then but not I wasn’t that clueless and even now all the digging we did for the past few months brought up nothing.

I couldn’t question how she found me, my face isn’t hidden to the public and my name isn’t either.

At sixteen years old, vengeful and with an empire under my command tribal things like this slipped my mind after she was gone and taken cared of. Remi and I worked together to keep the business steady and worked together to pursue our dreams.

When the clicking of the lock on the door sounded and it opened with a harsh push that blew breeze with it, I looked up but remained in my slouched position.

It was the man who did all the talking on the air strip, his badge said his name was F. Whittaker. He had a sickening smile as he moved forward and took the seat before mine.

"The names Whittaker, a big fan honestly." He started.

In that exact moment, in the mirror over his shoulder I saw the camera on the wall behind me blink twice in a row instead of just once every few minutes.

“I assume you know enough English for me to not have a translator.” He didn’t wait for me to answer and continued.

“Your recent activities have gotten our attention.” I was only barely surprised he didn’t continue with the introductions and got straight into it.

“Why are you in America?”

“Are you scheming with that prestigious family?”

“Or are you brave enough to start selling in America?”

He smiled when I didn’t answer, “Best you cooperate because with the dirt we have on you, you’ll have to continue cracking that pretty neck of yours.” I sighed and dropped my head back, bored out of my mind.

“We know why you’re all of a sudden cosying up with their son. American already has enough drug dealers, gangs and illegal transactions and we can’t have you coming along with it.” I leaned towards my hand that reached as far as it could and pushed my hair away from my neck in annoyance.

This is really a waste of my time.

"Are you using your 'relationship' with their son as a decoy?" I sighed internally and thought about that certain person to entertain myself.

The few days in France that we got together were so well spent with us locked in doors half the day and the other half we were out and about exploring and enjoying our twenties like we both didn't have the world of responsibilities weighing in our shoulders.

"A decoy to take them out and be the only one at the top of the food chain?”

"Speak!" Slowly I looked back at him with furrowed brows and clicked my tongue with intent to patronize him.

"You'll talk, when we put you in that prison cell and you get the true taste of America...you'll be begging us to listen to you." It seemed as though I pushed a bottom as his hackles rose visibly, his ears turning a bright red.

“And just you know that the German government can do nothing for you here, you’re on American soil. They wouldn’t risk a war with us over one woman.” That was their real intentions. Remi said when they came to the estate, they were just asking weird questions and they looked docile.

I have no doubt that they just wanted to make sure I was not in Germany so they could arrest me freely.

With a sigh, I leaned forward in my seat, holding his stare as I leaned on the table. For a long moment I just started at him, trying to tick him off but sickeningly he showed no emotion.

My lips parted as I gave him a patronizing once over and said, "I am the Government. I want my lawyer.” With that I sat back in my seat and resumed my slouched position.

"Has anyone ever told you that your accent is very aggressive?" When he didn't get an answer to his statement that maybe he thought would be offensive, he shifted in his seat.

"Lover boy can't save you, nobody can." He pushed back from the table, standing from the chair. I allowed my jaw to tick at the mention of Atreus and watched as he exited the room.

-

The door opening for the second time for the day made me look away from my reflection. Atreus came in scowling at the guard that opened the door for him from the outside.

"You took your time." I said in exasperation, eyes following as he sat in the chair before me.

He sat in the seat in front of mine, eyes scanning the four cameras not so discreetly, I didn't think he intended to be discreet.

"Are you good?" He questioned, eyes scanning the handcuffs that held me to the table as he leaned onto his elbows after sliding his briefcase on the table. No matter what situation I was in, this man could never stop looking sexy.

His messy dark brown hair looked so inviting as it curled carelessly on his head. The way the arms of his jacket pulled tight, brought back inappropriate memories that was not given for the situation. He made me proud to see his straight tie and brightened my mood when I saw he was using my gifts, the watch and the cufflinks. And the suit made me want to scale him with no clothes on.

Stop Dariya.

"My back hurts but that's about it." I answered softly after getting my thoughts under control.

"I wish I could say you were getting out of here but they offered no bail and the judge refused to take any money."

They really didn’t want me to leave, how fun.

He nodded silently at my raised brow, "They say they are afraid if you get bail, you'll try to leave America so..." Bullshit.

The person that claimed I killed my own father was too afraid I would come after her while on bail.  

"I requested a confined cell for the week until your trial on Saturday." He opened the briefcase he had brought taking out a form.

"Even though I am your lawyer legally, they need to confirm that I will be defending you so you have to sign this for confirmation." He passed me the pen, pointing to the blank line.

I skimmed the sheets of paper, looking for the fine print.

"Don't worry, I made this." He said catching on quickly.

My eyes caught the fine print as he said that and I knew it wasn’t any letter of confirmation. I signed the line and added the answer to the question subtly into my signature before pushing it back to him.

"Why?" I questioned, not liking that question and the outcome of it at all.

He leaned forward closer when he put the paper back. They could hear us but...

"Remi said he knows what you told him so I have to ask you.” He started softly before continuing, “They must have something, why would they just frame you for that? There must be a valid reason as to why you did what they claim you did and this can help us." He said, reaching forward to grab my hand and giving it a light squeeze.

"I promised." He kissed the back of my hand deeply, our eyes never wavering for a second.

‘Do what is right even if it isn’t the right thing to do and even if I don’t like it.'

I nodded silently in acceptance, squeezing his hand in return.

"I have everything else handled, with some extra help. You have nothing to worry about, keep safe and we'll get you out of here in no time." He finished just as the door opened. The guard at the door tapped his wrist and held the door open for Atreus to leave.  

"I’ll visit you.” I saw him pause and look at me with longing for a second before he rethought and shook his head before stalking out the room.

 Vote and comment, enjoy your day/night.