CHAPTER 1

Jemima Wilson

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

In 2121 the government of Orion finally relinquished the British as the head of state and adopted a republican system. However, the day of the coup d'état on November 5, 2125, was one of the country's greatest ruination. It marked the day of the 'Uprising'. The country's people rose against its corrupted leaders. It was anarchy, anguish, and bloodshed. The flashes of bright red and blue lights that once meant protection now signals war.

Three years after the coup d'état, the island has fallen into what is now called the Economic Ice Age. Every day it was the same old news, the same headline on the front pages, an explosion here, and another one there. Twenty bodies were found dismantled beyond recognition. Gang war broke out in St. Maris. Last week it was St. Augusta. Maybe today it would be in Kingston. A government building was consistently demolished at the hands of criminals.

Welcome to 2131.

Even with all the destruction surrounding us, the citizens went on with their lives. Some schools remained open unless there was an attack. Government workers, although fearful, still tend to their jobs. I don't understand why we aren't staying inside or, better yet, living underground. The streets are a political mess. If I should wear a shirt representing either Michael Wade or Howard Mason; our two best candidates for the next presidential elections. I would kill the moment my toes touch the pavement. At least once per week someone forgot the dress code in their area and turned up on the news—Dead. Just another victim of political warfare.

It was my second year at the University of the Newlands. I survived last year mainly because I stayed in my dorm room and only came out for food and classes. I wasn't brave like the other students who brazenly partied on campus without fear. Despite the countless guards situated on the school grounds and the army of soldiers posted in Halcyon Square, that was certainly not enough to convince me that it was safe to let my guard down.

There were too many stories about the soldiers being ambushed. If one should go back to check the headlines, none of these criminals or political activists were ever caught or even reported injured. Sometimes, I wonder if law enforcement wanted to catch them. If you ask me, they are doing a terrible job. This is why citizens don't believe that they can protect anyone. They can't even protect themselves for that matter.

I stepped out of my mother's car and hurriedly went to the trunk to retrieve my suitcase. We have been outside for more than fifteen minutes; my anxiety was already getting the best of me. Spending too long on the road was like waving a flag that says 'shoot me'. Maybe it was my mind coping with the level of violence around me. I wasn't going to take any chances today.

Who knows when they will decide to attack?

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you inside?" My mother, Ann asks worriedly.

"No, you'll be late for work. I'll talk to you later. Good luck on your big case," I tell her, then close the trunk. She waves goodbye before speeding off in the direction of  Halcyon Square.

We hadn't been the same since my brother died three years ago. The events surrounding his death were a mystery. The authorities didn't do much to investigate what had happened. They ruled it as a tragic accident, guess they had bigger issues than a dead twenty years old.