CHAPTER 30

We were all in the same black van—Jason, Tae, Asher, Amelia, Dash, and Jordon; parked a few meters from a large estate caged by a long, thick steal gate, which squared it. The house stretched across the plot of land. With miles of corn fields behind it.  "So this is it. We finally tracked him down. I would be lying if I said I wasn't impressed," Amelia admits, staring out the window at the house.

There were seven other vans behind us. All containing heavily armed soldiers, waiting for Dash's orders. "Okay, Jemima and Jordon. You two are up," Dash announces.

"Wait he's coming with me?" I inquire.

"Yes, he's your body guard. You should never go anywhere without him. This is not an exception. Besides, I can't let you walk in there by yourself," He implores. "Best to go unharmed," He says to Jordon, who nods and gives Dash his handgun.

"I don't want to put him in danger."

"Let me worry about my safety," He gives me a peck on the lips.

"Don't forget this," Dash places a piece of paper in my hand, it has on the location of the place where Atticus would meet Wade.

Walking to the double iron gates was a tedious task altogether. I must be stupid or really brave to come here. After all, he had done to the island, anyone would be frightened of him. The gates opened automatically as if he was excepting us.

Four men in security uniforms stood at the front door. They did not protest when we went up the small fleet of stairs and knock on the wooden door. I should be worried that he knew of my arrival since I was here uninvited.

Wade opens the door and I swore my heart stopped at the sight of him. He was dressed in a plain white oversized T-shirt and brown shorts that ended at his knees.

"I have been expecting you to find me." he looks at Jordon. "Not him though"

"Where ever she goes I follow."

"Very well," He steps aside allowing us to enter. The living room was an ordinary— sofa, pillows, and a large flat screen tv. The ceiling, however, was what caught my attention. Patterned with tiny diamonds, that appeared to be handmade. "It's a constellation called Ursa Major also known as the Great Bear." He says when he noticing how fascinated I was with the ceiling. "And yes those are real diamonds, a hundred pieces to be precise."

I wanted to tell him that it was beautiful. I stopped myself, given the fact that he's a heartless mass murderer who has a fetish for creating bioweapons. Who started a revolution, and drowned our economy for his vendetta against the country's justice systems. If I should list his crimes it would not end here.

"Do you want something to drink?" He asks me kindly.

"No. What do you want with Atticus?"

"Okay. Straight to business then." He takes a seat on one of the sofas while we remained standing. "I need protection which only he can grant me. Isn't he one of the three leaders?" My head shifts to Jordon. I searched for any sign of uncomfortableness before answering.

"He one if the many leaders but you have your gang. What about them?"

"They are untrained, lack discipline and organization skills."

"What would a politician need protection from?"

"You and I both know that I'm not just a politician. I killed people. A lot of people. Even very important people."

"Important people like our first president" I take a deep breath to control myself from I ruin the plan. "Why would Atticus protect you?"

"Because" He pauses and crossed his legs, roll his shoulders back then continues. "I know the location of one of the missing members."

Jordon shuffled and my interest was slightly peaked. "Who?" Jordon asks, He only gives us a wicked grin.

"Oh, wouldn't you just love to know? I would tell you but I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise. Let's just say he's very important to his little organization."

"Atticus will meet you at this location," I pull the white paper out of my pocket and placed it on his wooden coffee table.

"Not so fast. I have some requirements."

"You are asking for a meeting with Atticus and you have requirements?"

"I have to ensure my safety."

"Your safety?" I wanted to yell a million and one things at him but once again I bite my tongue. "What are your requirements?"

"No guns. I won't only Atticus and you there," He requests.

"That's not possible. Atticus is always armed and I cannot be present."

"Okay fine he can be armed but why can't you be there?"

"Maybe because you the manic who blows shit up and murders countless," I finally address the elephant in the room.

"You have a lot of courage to come here."

"It's not courage. I'm just delivering a message."

"Still, you're brave. It takes courage to stand before a man who has caused so much chaos."

"All for a child."

His façade broke down. I could see the real him for a moment. The vulnerable human being behind the rock-hard exterior of a monster. The tears that welding in his eyes. The pain of losing a child. Injustice, regret, fear, despair, and loneliness. Just for a second, he was a normal human being with feelings. Then it was replaced with greed, dishonesty, and pride. The only thing that remained was fear.

"At first it was. Now it's for me. My pain. Everything they put me through."

"I think it's time we leave," I tell him. He wave his hand signaling that we could go. "Do you mind if I could use your bathroom?"

"Down the right"

I followed his instructions and found the bathroom easily, although it was not my intention to use it. I scan the other rooms until I came upon an office. Daniel told me to plant a tiny circular device on Wade's laptop.

The laptop wasn't anywhere in sight. Going through the desk draws in haste, I finally found it. Palms sweating, hands shaking, chest hammering. I dig in my pocket and found the device. Then place it at the back of it.

In the next ten seconds, I wash my hands and makemy way back to the living room. Jordon's eyes met mine and I knew the question that he was thinking. I offered him a small nod. "We should get going" Wade waves his hand dismissively.

Once we were outside of the gates. I felt a wave of relief washing my anxiety away. "You did well?"

"I didn't think I could."

"Well, you did. You did your part now I'm taking you home."

"No, not yet. I'm not going anywhere until they have him."

"It's not your problem anymore. Don't worry about it" Jordon reminds me but that wasn't true anymore.

"Wade is everyone's problem. Besides I can't face my mother right now so I'm staying," He didn't argue and I'm grateful for that.