CHAPTER 11

》》》》》◆《《《《《

A car alarm causes me to wake. How was it possible for someone to be drugged three times, four if I should include Kayla's sedative?

The sky was becoming brighter. Which meant it was edging closer to morning. My phone confirms that it was 4:39 a.m. I have been out for almost three hours. Drugging me was uncalled for. Coming here in the first place proves to be a huge waste of my time.

The last thing I want to hear is that my life was saved because of all the illegal shenanigans Brandon had put himself through. He didn't have to die, he should've just gone to school and come home but he wanted to be bad, he chose death. I guess Atticus had a point-They chose it for themselves.

I manage to pull myself up even though I was feeling dizzy. I'm going to hit him the next time I see him. Who does he think he is? He can't just call me out here and leave me. Technically he didn't call but that was far from the point that I'm making. I don't like him. I didn't like any of them.

I cursed every profanity I know of until I was out of the building. Anything could have happened to me yet he left me there defenseless. I wanted to throw him into a wall or better yet knock him out and leave him in the middle of the streets.

I don't know why I'm having these violent thoughts. I consider myself a very peaceful person. Maybe it's an Atticus thing. Maybe that's why he's in hiding, because his personality infects everyone with violent thoughts.

He just left me at the mercy of an old broken building.

The car wasn't where I left it. In fact, it wasn't anywhere in sight. A wave of panic washed over me. I blinked several times to check my vision. Still no sign of my mother's car.

Dead.

That was the only word currently going through my mind repeatedly. I let the car get stolen. No, this is his fault. If I wasn't drugged then this wouldn't have happened or maybe it would. It doesn't matter, it's still his fault.

How was I supposed to get anywhere at this time of day? I was about to scream how much I hated that man; that would only use up the energy that I have to preserve for the possible miles of walking I have to do. I swear on my life that one of these days I'm going to shoot him and then hide his body somewhere. He's already missing, killing him would not pose a challenge. Unless I take into account the Three Rings. The way that I'm plotting how to murder him in my head is highly disturbing, add to that the fact that we just met each other.

With every building I walk past, I come up with something new to dislike about Atticus. Along with new strategies to commit murder. At this point, I was becoming pretty skillful.

The lights were on in the church, It gives me hope. Someone had to be in there who could help me, or maybe I could find a nice shovel to start digging a hole for myself. Come to think of it, that does not sound like such a bad idea.

Tae was there, I never thought I would see the day when I would be happy to see him. At this moment I would hug him if he tells me that he could help me. I had to wait until he finish talking to a familiar old man. They spoke in hush whispers; it sounds important. I search my brain for the place I recognize him from but I couldn't remember.

"Tae!" I call once he was done. He walks toward me in a hurry and seizes my arm; after which he drags me outside.

"Stop pulling me!"

"You can't be here"

"Oh really now. Your boss knocked me out and left me on the roof of a building! So don't tell me that I can't be here!"

"Daniel wouldn't do that."

"Atticus did!"

"Oh, at least you're not dead."

"Not yet. I can't find my mother's car. I left it parked on the road and then it was gone."

"Probably the real owner came back for it."

"Tae!"

"Okay. What do you want me to do about it?"

"Help me find it."

"Find it?" He laughs uncontrollably and I resist the urge to hit him. "Oh, that was a good joke. You don't expect me to help you, right?"

"That is what I said."

After a few more minutes of trying to convince him, he offers to take me to Jason. Which means going back to the house in Bay City.

Upon our arrival, Tae immediately sends me off to Jason, who hands me off to Jordon and then left. It was frustrating because it felt like a burdensome task that nobody wants handle. The clock was ticking and the sun was almost up.

The only thing going through my mind was my mother waking up, three hours from now and then calling the police when she realizes that I'm not home. Which will by no means help the situation. They will probably take her statement and stop there. She then sits at home and worries about my whereabouts.

We are sitting in an office, by the looks of it, I suspect that it belongs to Daniel. Jordon was currently behind a large office desk, typing away on his laptop.

I try to use my eyes to hurry him but fail miserable, as he wasn't paying much attention to me. My fingers with my mind of their start tapping on the desk. Much to his annoyance, he lifts his head and shot me a dark glare, which I choose to ignore.

"How long will this take?"

"As long as it takes," he says vaguely, focusing his attention back on the screen.

"Which is how long exactly? An hour. Two hours. Give me a time frame,"

"A day maybe a week."

His response made me chuckle because there was no way he was being any form of serious. The expression he holds communicates that he was indeed serious. Which causes me to sweat profusely. I'm a walking corpse. That's what I will be if he doesn't find that car in the next hour or so.

"Found it!"

I scramble to his part of the desk and peak over his shoulders. "Where is it?" My heart was already thumping in my chest with joy, stirring a fair amount of anxiety.

"The Valley."

The words dim my rush of excitement. Of all the places the car could end up, it just had to be there. It seems as if bad luck has been sprinkled all over me. Still, in my mind, the blame comes back to just one person-Atticus.