CHAPTER 17

❀⊱┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰❀

Inside the building was just as I remembered it several months ago. The only difference was that the halls were busier tonight. Maybe it's because of the storm. Whatever the cause was; I couldn't move without bumping into a doctor or nurse every three seconds. Through the crowd, I spot the familiar doctor who I had come to like.

Kayla was in a white coat. Hands stuffed in her pockets. Her light brown face toils in confusion as the nurse in a lime green uniform read something off a clipboard. She takes the clipboard from the nurse and walks toward us.

"Ready to give blood Jemi?" she queries, her eyes avoids Jordon. She hadn't quite forgiven her nephew for the whole kidnapping stunt and, to be honest, I wasn't fully over it either.

"Not really."

Kayla wanted to say something to him. It was difficult, brows raised, eyes darken-she was going to explode with anger. I plead with my eyes for her to reconsider, her face softens and with a sigh, then she says,"Fine let's go."

"Will she be okay?" Jordon questions. His gaze stays on me for five seconds long. Long enough for Kayla to notice.

"In love are we?" my cheeks heat up in embarrassment. His head snaps to Kayla and matched her burning gaze. "Oh wait I forgot, you're a part of a gang, you aren't supposed to be in love or care for anyone," she adds a fake, unflattering smile at the end of her statement.

Jordon hiss in response, avoiding what could be a potential argument. At that moment I wished the ground would open up and swallow me whole.

"Can we go?" I asked breaking the icy stare-down that was going on between them.

"It depends," she paused then shifts her eyes to meet mine. "Is he coming with us or does he have someone else who needs to be held hostage," Jordon was about to say something but Kayla purposefully cuts him off.

"Jemima let's go." I go with her without hesitation. Jordon was left there standing, his arms folded, face completely unamused.

She leads me down the hall, upstairs then to another floor, where there were fewer doctors. The lab was located at the end of the dark hallway, it could have gone unnoticed if someone didn't know it was there. Inside had the typical smell of medical supplies and disinfectant. A scent that never fails to make me nauseous.

There were varieties of test tubes along with other medical supplies. Kayla goes to the area with a seat and told me to sit. My hands were shaking, even when she reassured me that it was a simple drug test, my body still didn't believe her words.

I closed my eyes while she equips herself with gloves and a syringe. I felt the needle being inserted into my veins, it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. The familiar stinging sensation left my arm feeling numb.

"All done you can open your eyes now."

Embarrassed, I examine the spot where the needle had been. There wasn't much to see. Kayla handed me a tiny square piece of cotton and instructed me to put a little pressure on the area. While I did that she left the room with a sample of my blood.

When she returned an hour later, her face was riddled with confusion as her eyes scanned a white sheet of paper. "Is everything okay with me?" I asked in an obvious panicked tone. I fumbled with my fingers nervously at her lack of response. "Kayla?"