CHAPTER 12

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l|

It is in this moment of great desperation that one truly knows how to handle great displeasure. In my case standing in the middle of a so-called auction in a skin-tight, unholy, red dress was my displeasure. Something that I had to endure to get the job done according to Jordon. The outfits were a curtsy from a girl named Amelia. Jordon only explained that she was member of the Three Rings, nothing else.

The desperation part comes from the need to get my mother's car back.

Jordon sports a black shirt along with a pair of black ripped jeans. He seems. comfortable and I envy him. The childish part of me secretly wanted to step on his suede shoes, to show how displeased I was with my attire. However, I refrain from causing a scene. He has already instructed me to keep quiet and don't stare at anyone for too long.

The Valley was one of the many places citizens learn to stay away from, avoid it at all cost, or risk getting murdered. They say the Valley was harsher that Orion's Mountain people called the Cimarron. I think they are equally scary.

The auction was more like a street party and half-naked drunken females dancing on top of the cars. I can't believe they steal those vehicles and sell them. I made sure to keep up with Jordon's pace as he pushes through the crowd but the five-inch black heels on my feet were posing a major challenge.

"Dylan?" Jordon greets a tall light-skinned man with his hair braided neatly.

"Jordon," The man replies and they pull each other in a sort of half-hug.

"Who is this?" He asks taking note of my presence.

"Oh, she's my girlfriend."

What did he just say?

Before I could open my mouth to correct him, Jordon slides an arm around my waist and gives me a gentle squeeze. Taking that as a sign to keep my mouth shut, I let them continue. His hands continues to rests on my waist and subconsciously my body leans into his touch.

"Do you have the car I asked about?"

"It's on sale for two million dollars"

I almost choke to death. Two million what? He could not be talking in terms of money. My fist curled and I try to advance towards the man, to let him have a piece of my mind. Unfortunately, Jordon holds me tightly in place.

"I will transfer the money."

My head snaps to Jordon so fast it almost breaks. I was confused as to why he would do that. Was he going to buy my mother's car for two million dollars? It isn't even worth that much.

"I want the license plate and everything that was in it."

"No worries."

Dylan left, I presume that he went to get the car. Jordon's hands left my waist then pulls out his phone and begins tapping away without some much as explaining himself. "Uh, what was that? Why are you giving him two million dollars? They stole the damn car!"

"It's either that or Daniel comes down here and takes it then the Three Rings is at war with every gang in the Valley. We don't need the attention over a car."

"Or we could call the police."

He finally looks up from his phone and his eyes connect with mine. "You have so much faith in the police. When was the last time the police did anything good for anyone?"

"Point taken."

Dylan returns and tells us that we should go to the mechanic's workshop to collect the car.

Inside the workshop was dusty and holds a smelt metallic scent of rust. My mother's car was in the middle of the room, untouched and still in one piece.

"We have to wait until the mechanic gets back," He informs me.

We both lean onto the front bumper. I wanted to kick my shoes off since we were basically alone but the task of having to put them on again stops me. Laziness at its finest, one day it will bring about my downfall.

"You look nice by the way."

"Thanks," I respond awkwardly. I thanked God that the room was dark so that he could not see how flushed my face look. It was just one tiny compliment but my heart was already racing.

Something on the other side of the room suddenly came crashing down, causing me to shift myself over to Jordon. Our bodies collide and he stiffens. I recover from the mini shock and lean away from him, only to be pulled back in place.

Without a word, he stands up and towers over me while I remain seated in the car. His hand trails its way down my cheeks, stopping at the point where my neck meets my shoulders. I opened my mouth to ask what he was doing but the words were completely stuck. The warmth of his had sent tiny pleasures all over my skin.

He leans his face a few inches from mine  I could hear my heart beating like a drum in my ears. A wave of nervousness runs over me making me go cold. "I like you Jemi," he whispers in my ears sending a delightful shiver down my spine.

I didn't comprehend a word he has said but his voice was like music from the angels. He repeats the statement, snapping me out of my daze. My eyes went to the corner of the room and I spot a rotating camera. It shut off after one last rotation.

"The camera is off," I mouth. "Is that bad?"

"It actually is," He responds worried. "We need to leave."

"I thought you said we had to wait for the mechanic?"

"Something doesn't feel right he's taking too long."

Shots were fired from a distance. Jordon pushes himself off me and reaches for the keys that were hanging on the wall.

"Which one?"

"Those," I point to the familiar car keys with a red band.

He wastes no time in pulling out of the warehouse and onto the streets. He speeds down the road disregarding the speed limit. I could tell he was angry from the way he was gripping the steering wheel. My brain got in lost in his facial features. His cheekbones, smooth dark complexion, and soft curly hair.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He asks without taking his eyes off the road.

"I wasn't."

"If you say so."

"Can I ask you something?"

"No, you may not."

"Why did you join the Three Rings?"

"To protect myself and Kayla," he answers boldly. My eyes widen. "I don't think she knows that."

A tense silence settles between us for the rest of the ride. My brain was still processing his response. Even when I dropped him off and sneak back into the house, I was utterly speechless.

Will I have to join one day to protect my mother? Is that what Atticus means?

Is that the real reason why Brandon joined? I always thought it was to rebel.