Chapter 1

The best feeling in the world was when I could peacefully go back to a client's party and photograph the evidence of their successful night. The venue was almost empty, only a couple of maids were there to clean up.

I politely asked if I could snap a few photos while they worked. My goal was to find something so full of love that I could use as a cover for the album the newlyweds would want. Something like...that. I spotted the empty dessert table and walked over with determination in each step. I loved the idea that formed in my mind. The cake topper was a custom made bride and groom with the real people's features and clothes, and a look of love shared between them so powerful it would be exactly what I wanted.

I set it up in the middle of the empty tray, crumbs and buttercream remnants were all over it, making the photo so much better. I snapped a few from different angles, happy that I found something that said "even when the party's over, we love each other". I might've been a hopeless romantic..

A throat cleared behind me, and I turned to see an elegant woman standing there. I recognized her from the night before, but she didn't look at all like a woman who partied until dawn. Her hair was too in place, her clothes were fancier than some of the guests at the wedding, and she seemed serious. Though she gave me a small smile.

"Can I help you, ma'am?" I asked, turning back to snap a few more photos of the cake topper.

She cleared her throat again, and folded her hands in front of her shiny skirt. "Yes, I was told you were a good photographer last night," she started, her eyes going up and down my body with what I was tempted to label as disgust. I was in jeans and a sweatshirt, my hair still curled from the day before.. Way less sophiaticated than the woman, in other words. She smiled again, and went on, "My niece is getting married soon, in around a month, and she and her fiancé has agreed to let everyone take their own pictures. What a dreadful, modern thing.. Anyway, I wondered if you could come and take their photos."

It wasn't unusual for new clients to approach me at other jobs, but this sounded like something I wasn't exactly welcome to. "If they don't want a photographer—"

"They do, I'll convince them, but there's not a lot of time left to book one."

She looked me up and down again, probably judging my choice of clothes. I didn't even shower yet, because the showers in hotels creep me out a little..

"You can give them my card, it's got everything they need, including a link to a website with my portfolio," I said, rummaging through my camera bag for my business card. I handed it to her with a smile. "What date is the wedding?"

"July 30th." Her nose rose higher, as if she didn't agree with the date of her niece's wedding either.

"I'll try to keep it open in case they change their minds," I told her with one more smile, and she nodded, sending me one of her own and told me to take care before she walked out.

I snapped a few more photos of the well-used venue, before I told the maids thanks, picked up my weekend bag by the door and went home to get ready for the next wedding, the very same day.

The summer was always busy for me. Everyone wanted that idyll in their wedding photos. I'd been to weddings on yachts, on golf courses, in parks and beaches. They were all unique, and I was so happy I could make a living out of working for myself, even though I was busy as hell when everyone else had their summer break and went on vacations.

I had vacations in the winter. It was just as magical, maybe even more sometimes, since I loved snow so much.

Sitting with a cloth and a lens in my lap, I was startled when my phone rang. It was after eight in the evening, so when I didn't recognize the number I almost didn't answer. But it could be important...