Chapter 38

A whirlwind of words and papers and people. That was all my blurry vision could see. Elina's hand hadn't left mine for hours. She took it after she helped me get dressed and the three of us drove back out to the warehouse, where the whole family was gathered. There was a moment where Michael held me close, his arm around my shoulders, while his roaring voice told everyone to get his son back—or else.  But even then, Elina's fingers were locked with mine.

Everything was moving too fast and too slow at the same time. Every time someone said they had a lead, I wanted it to be bigger than it was, and get us closer to finding my man again. I knew Damian was good at taking care of himself, but still I was scared for his life.

I felt helpless. It was like everyone wanted me to help, needed me to help, but all I could do was stand there, practically immobile, and try my best not to think about what could happen to him in Orlov's hands. It was torture.

"Did he say anything to you?" James appeared in front of us, looking at me with his usual softness and care. "Orlov, I mean, when you saw him?"

"No." I shook my head, and couldn't meet his eyes. "I'm sorry," I said, "your best friend is missing, and I could've stopped it."

"No, hey, don't.." James and Elina both hugged me, stroking my back like they were one person, holding me. "Damian wouldn't want you to pick a fight with Orlov over him," James said as he pulled away.

In a way, I knew he was right. Damian would've wanted me to stay hidden, to not even peek out of our bedroom when I heard danger downstairs. But I had to. And I beat myself up over and over again for not grabbing the nearest, heaviest thing and chucking it down towards that ugly face.

"We have a location," someone said behind James, and as he turned I met with Kurt's eyes. He gave me a small nod, a show of sympathy, before his cold stare met with James'. "Mongrel's telling the others. Diana found boss' phone. It might've been thrown out somewhere, but it's inside, so the odds are better."

"Alright," James replied, "let Michael know, and we'll move quickly." Kurt nodded in reply, his eyes lingering on me for a few more seconds before he turned and went back into the warehouse. "Girls, I don't know what'll happen now, but I need you both safe, Damian needs you safe, so you take my car, babe, and go home. Open up some wine and read your books, pretend it's a regular night in—"

"No." My voice was suddenly clear and loud. Though my eyes were blank and red from tears, my throat was sore and rough, I'd never had a more certain tone to my voice. "I'm coming with you."

"Don't ask her to leave now, James. If it were you, I'd honestly slit Damian's throat sooner than going home to drink with my friend." Elina was just as certain as me. She crossed her arms, dragging my hand up with her, and stared down her husband with a face so expressionless I'd be scared if I didn't know her so well.

"Fine." He sighed and ran his hands through his hair. "But don't do anything reckless."

Elina smirked, winking at him. "When do I ever?"

James just waved a pointer finger at her before turning around. Elina smiled triumphantly at me, before she, too, started walking back to the warehouse, pulling me with her.

Then it all moved fast. So, so fast. Before I knew it I had a gun in my pants, an army knife in my pocket and tens of eyes on me. Michael stood by the door to the warehouse, his face like stone, reminding me so much of the man I loved that I almost cried again. "Get my son back," was all he said before everyone got out and started moving.

My hands were trembling as Elina followed the convoy of sports cars through the city. Her phone went off like crazy, but her comforting smile never faltered. Even after James had a whole monologue on the phone, telling her how much he loved her, and how he'd turn the world upside down to find her if she was the one missing, she was still smiling. I saw a tear run down her cheek, but it was clear she did her best to keep me sane—to keep herself strong for my sake. Damian was her friend, so this meant a lot to her too.