one. the return of sarah fier

EVEN BEFORE PHOENIX got hit by a car, she was already having a rotten day

One, her Sprinkle Spangles cereal was missing.

Two, her beeper was broken into shreds.

Three, her mother died a year ago. Nixie doesn't really care, honestly. She was eight years old, told to go "fuck off and die", nose bleeding when she realized that her mother was the shittiest person alive. Diana Aoki used to tell her daughter that the only thing keeping her from hitting a literal child was that her school would notice and she'd get in trouble. Maybe she finally snapped.

That pretty much sums up the relationship Nixie had with her mother— and she doesn't care that she's dead (in fact, Nixie would say that she's happy that her ass is dead) but it's her father who ruined her morning. He refused to give Pheonix her keys for her truck for some reason, which led the teenager to run to school instead.

And now, she got hit by a car. On school grounds.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" she yells as loud as she could muster, attempting to swallow down the frustration coursing through her veins when she sees one of the teachers glare at her. Why the hell was she glaring at me? I just got hit by a car!

The anger is still there, but the intensity of it wasn't as strong as before. Her brain is somehow comprehending the situation right now, and as she scans the car, Nixie realizes who the owner is.

Deena.

"Asshole!" she yells out once again, followed by a string of profanities. Deena, out of all people, should know that if she was getting angry, anyone in front of her poses a threat because even Pheonix doesn't know the kind of weapon that might appear and what kind of threat she would pose.

The car door opens, and there's the biggest urge in her head to rip it off the handle. Josh, the boy she recognizes as her younger brother slowly backed up towards her with his hands raised up in mock defeat. "Acting out of anger solves nothing! That's why I'm here right now, so let's calm down and talk it out."

"You hit me with your car!" with her voice even raspier and her inner anger even more fueled, "I don't even talk to you!"

"Oh my god..." there comes the startled voice of her friend. It still hasn't occurred to Nixie that people around them were staring at a sight for sore eyes: a girl on the pavement shaking in anger, a curly-haired girl trying her best to help the said shaking girl, and a boy, staring at the whole thing like a fucking idiot, despite the situation being his fault entirely.

"Deena, I'm going to kill your brother." The words come out of her mouth louder than she intended them to be. Josh looks terrified, but Nixie doesn't care. I will kill him.