one. a full moon rises before nightfall

"LET NO man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." Natsuko glanced up at her husband, bible in her grasp. "But every man is tempted when he is drawn away by his own concupiscence and is enticed.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin, and sin when it is finished, bringeth forth death."

"Natsuko."

"Hmm?" The girl questioned, softly flipping the book over and gently placing it back into the cabinet.

"I must leave for work," Christopher mumbled, reaching out for his pouch in the table. For a moment, he stops and looks at the girl, eyes were drawn together in confusion. "You ought to rest some. And keep your affairs hidden. I've got a word that Mad Thomas' lurks in the night."

Natsuko smiled at him knowingly, walking over towards the kitchen to grab him food. The girl placed the bread, wrapped it around some cloth, and handed it to him. "Keep your affairs hidden as well. We wouldn't want him catching us both— would we?"

Christopher returned the smile, placing the wrapped bread into his pouch. "I'll see you in a few sunrises."

Natsuko grabbed a basket full of wine that was covered with a white cloth, and followed him into the door of their house, waving him goodbye. Her eyes scan over each person in the settlement, grinning when she sees Lizzie walk past her house.

"Lizzie!" she greeted, walking over towards her best friend. The girl grinned, peeking about to check if anyone could see them, before opening pulling the cloth over, revealing the wine.

Lizzie looked confused, showing the remains of her own basket. "I've got wine as well."

"This not just any wine, Lizzie." Natsuko grinned, covering it with the cloth once again. "Christopher acquired it in one of his trips outside of the settlement. It is not like anything we had tasted before."

Lizzie grinned, leaning over so she could whisper into her ear. "I suppose you and Isaac had a lot of running at the ring during this 'trip', yes?"

The girl playfully hit her friend, placing a finger to her mouth. It was funny, but if Lizzie wasn't careful enough, they would be in deep trouble.

But she was thankful— Lizzie, Sarah, Abigail, and Hannah had accidentally found out about their affair, but none of them seemed to find it wrong. Natsuko was especially surprised with Hannah, especially since she was the pastor's daughter. Nonetheless, they were good at keeping secrets.

"I still can't believe your husband lets you jumble with Isaac." Lizzy giggled, grabbing her arm. The two of them always did this: whenever morning came and the sun rose, they would walk around the union and watch as everyone did their jobs.

He jumbles with boys too, Natsuko thought, but instead shut her mouth as she walked beside Lizzy. The two of them had their arms linked together, walking through the dirt path.

Suddenly, they both spot a mop of curly hair, and they instantly grin at each other, walking past the girl— waiting for the phrase that had to be spoken.

"Sarah," Lizzie greeted.

Sarah Fier nodded at her two friends, a smirk forming on her face. "A full moon rises before nightfall."