six. he likes you

PHOENIX GRIPPED the steering wheel tighter

"Jesus, Phoenix. Slow down." Kate's eyes darted over towards the speedometer, turning into the size of saucers when she sees the speed her friend was currently running in. "You're at 120. I doubt those killers can run that fast."

Dead people are chasing us, Kate. I doubt that a car would be too much for them.

Instead of saying what was on her mind, Nixie sighed, the girl attempted to take a deep breath as she slowed the car down. Her heart was pounding— it felt like her heartbeat was in her head.

There were dead people chasing them. Dead people.

From the back of the ambulance, she could hear someone screaming- her heart stopped for a moment before she realized that it was followed by laughter.

"I've been meaning to ask you..." Kate mumbled, eyes still trailed on the road. "What's going on between you and Simon? You've been acting weird since the start of the night but when I asked you to go watch after him there's this... tension between you two."

Phoenix thought about it for a moment. As thankful as she was for Kate for keeping her mind off things for a bit, she knew that her friend was genuinely curious. They've never told anybody (except for Simon's brother Timothy who caught them once) since she knew what people were gonna say. Plus, word around Shadyside traveled fast.

Fuck it, Phoenix thought. We might be dead by tomorrow, anyway.

"Don't tell anybody. Don't freak out."

"If you start with don't freak out, I'm bound to freak out."

"Simon and I have this agreement.." Nixie started, explaining it as carefully as possible. "Whenever one of us get stressed, we call each other and uh.. de-stress?" It came out more like a question than a statement, due to Nixie not knowing how to explain it in the best possible way.

It took Kate a few seconds, but Nixie knew that she was a smart girl. The statement was then proven when Kate's mouth turned into a wide "O".

"So at Geography class.. when you two went to the bathroom together-"

"We had a quiz in Biology for the next period, so yup. Did it in the janitor's closet."

"What- how- why.." her mouth opened and closed as if she couldn't choose a question to ask her. "Ever since when?"

"The start of senior year."

"And Simon was okay with it?" Kate asked in a shrill voice.

"Yeah," Phoenix looked through the side mirror just to check if no one was listening to their conversation. Simon was talking to Josh. Sam and Deena were in the middle of a conversation. "Why would he have a problem with it?"

"Oh my god..." Kate mumbled, eyebrows drawn together in annoyance. "Simon! He likes you, dumbass!"

Phoenix scoffed. "Ha-ha. Very funny, Kate."