extra sambar

soulmate au

in which the first words your soulmate will say is tattooed on your body.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ashwin lived all his life as a normal person. He grew up in a normal middle class family, went to an average school, was an average student. He was as normal as it gets. Except, for the one obnoxious tattoo that ran down his forearm. It was the first words his soulmate would say to him.

"Anna, extra sambar kedaikuma", is not an easily explainable tattoo. He had gotten so many questions about it, he truly hated his soulmate for that.

(Anna, can I have extra sambar?)

Sarath sat down opposite to him and said, "Partner, enna thaniya okanthurka?"

(Partner, why are you sitting alone?)

His longtime friend, Sarath has dragged him to some party, saying it was the perfect opportunity to find his soulmate.

Ashwin sighed and sunk into his chair, "Not in the mood." He was tired of trying to find his soulmate, only resulting in embarrassing situations. At this point he wasn't even sure his soulmate existed.

"Dei, nee poi yaarkitayavthu pesina thane theriyum."

(You'll find your soulmate only if you talk to people.)

Ashwin glared at him, "Dei loosu, party la yaarudu itha soluva? Who'll ask for extra sambar in a party?"

(Dumbass, who would ask extra sambar at a party?)

"Oh.." Sarath said as he was processing this information.

Ashwin shook his head and got up. "Naa veetuku poren da. I can't be here."

(I'm going home. I can't be here.)

"Dei, konjam ne-"

(Dude, stay for ju-)

He was cut off by a voice behind Ashwin, "Anna, extra sambar kedaikuma?"

(Anna, can I have extra sambar?)

Ashwin stood rooted to his place, wondering if he actually heard those words or he was hallucinating. He turned around to face a beautiful young woman with wavy black hair and brown eyes.

The woman looked between him and Sarath. She turned back to look at a group of girls who bursted into a fit of giggles.

Ashwin still didn't recover. He had just found his soulmate. In a party. Asking for extra sambar.

He narrowed his eyes at her, "You. Unala evalo prachanai theriyuma?" He lifted his arm so she could see the tattoo, "Who says that? Ethuku party ku vanthu extra sambar kekara? Ithu enna Saravana bhavan ah? Ethavathu romantic ah irukumnu paatha.. sambar venum chutney venum."

(You. Do you know how much of a nuisance you've been? Who says that? Why would you come to a party and ask extra I? Is this a restaurant? I expected something romantic but it's sambar.. chutney.)

Sivaangi stared at him in shock. She blinked at the tall figure in front of him, trying to make sense of it. She quickly regained composure and said,

"Hello, neenga maatum enna? Inga paarunga."

(Hello, you've been a nuisance as well. Look.)

She lifted her arm and on it was tattoed,

You. Unala evalo prachanai theriyuma? Who says that? Ethuku party ku vanthu extra sambar kekara? Ithu enna Saravana bhavan ah? Ethavathu romantic ah irukumnu paatha.. sambar venum chutney venum.

Ashwin blinked at her. She was kinda right, that was way more worse than his.

She huffed, "Atleast naanvathu oru line. Neenga oru full paragraph eh solringa. Normal ah ivalo pesuvingala?"

(Atleast yours is a one liner. Mine is a whole paragraph. Do you usually talk this much?)

"Avan pesave mattan, " Sarath chimed in, and Ashwin elbowed his stomach.

(He doesn't talk at all.)

The pair stared at each other for a moment and it clicked to Ashwin that she was his soulmate. And he just blasted off on her.

He cleared his throat, "I'm Ashwin, neenga?"

(I'm Ashwin, you.)

"Sivaangi."

He smiled. Like her, her name was also unique.

"Ms, Sivaangi. Saravana bhavan polama?"

(Ms. Sivaangi, shall we go to a restaurant?)

An amused smile came upon her face, "Edhuku?"

(For what.)

Ashwin grinned at her and said, "Extra sambar vaanga."

(To buy extra sambar.)