who's that man?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Avira leaned back in her chair as she stared
at the ballistics report that was on her computer screen. Ved kicked the back of her chair to catch her attention, "Yo. What are you looking at?"

Avira frowned deeply, "It's just weird. There were 3 bullets found at the scene of the crime but there are 4 shell casings. One bullet is missing. Why?"

Ved squinted at the report, "That is weird. Why would anyone take a bullet?"

Avira shrugged, "It's possible it got lodged somewhere and we don't know where it is."

Ved stared, "How would we not know? It had to be in the crime scene unless someone got shot and got out of there."

Avira shook her head, "Not possible. There were no signs of blood."

It was now Ved's turn to frown. "This case gives me a headache."

"Tell me about it," Avira mumbled.

"Hey boss."

Avira looked up to see a uniformed detective. "Uh, a guy walked in here saying he got mugged or something."

Avira looked behind the detective to see a tall man, with a beard, wearing a large trench coat. "Okay, so? File a report and send him on his way out."

The detective hesitated, "Yeah, about that.."

Avira raised an eyebrow and the detective said, "The guy says he doesn't remember his name or where he came from. He doesn't remember anything."

"Amnesia? Wow that's cool," Ved said with a smirk. Avira rolled her eyes and stood up.

"Ved will talk to him."

Ved jerked, "What? Me? Why? We have a missing bullet here."

Avira smiled, "I'm the boss here. Besides, isn't amnesia cooler than missing bullets?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ved eyed the man who stood there unwarily. "So, uh. You don't remember anything?"

The man shook his head, "No..weird right?"

Ved scoffed, "Sort of yeah."

The man sighed and Ved felt a speck of pity enter him and he said, "Okay, so what's in your pockets? Maybe there's a driving licence or something that can tell us who you are."

The man shrugged off his coat and dug his hands into the pockets. He brought out a set of keys, a grocery bag and medication. The man stared at the items, "I don't know how you're gonna find out who I am with that."

Ved looked at the items with a sense of skepticism, "We'll try our best, Is that all on you?"

The man patted his coat again, "Yeah..Uh no wait. There's a book here?"

The man fished out a book and Ved looked at it curiously. He extended his hand, indicating for him to give it to him.

"Rocking Horse Winner by D.H Lawrence, quite the Freudian novel…"

He trailed off as he saw what was on the back. A large bullet hole was there, blackening the edges of the hole. His mind went blank as he opened the book, ruffling through and found a bullet lodged in the middle. Ved stared at it blankly.

"What... what's wrong?"

Ved looked up to see the man staring at him. "Um, do you happen to know why there's a bullet in your book?"