new year kiss

"I miss you."

Ashwin smiled at his screen, the face of his woman covered it. She was lying on bed, with an adorable pout on the other side of the world.  Ashwin truly didn't know it was possible to miss someone this much until she was away from him and he couldn't have her in his arms.

"I miss you too, enna pandrathu." He sighed, looking at the driver and gesturing to him to start. Sivaangi groaned and sat up,

(I miss you too, what to do.)

"First time after marriage new year celebrate panrom, but neenga inga illa."

(This is our first new year as a married couple, but you're not here.)

Ashwin looked at her apologetically, "Sorry ma. Schedule ivalo thali pogumnu eithirpakala, neeyum concert nu Singapore poita."

(Sorry ma. I didn't expect the schedule to be extended this much. You also went away to Singapore for a concert.)

Sivaangi sighed and scanned his video, he seemed to be in a car. "Enga poringa intha nerathula?"

(Where are you?)

Ashwin panicked for a second, thinking of a lie. "Pasikuthu, hotel food set aagala athan." In reality, he was in Singapore, trying to get to his lady love before the clock strikes twelve and they're pushed into a new year without each other beside.

(I didn't like the hotel food, so I came out for dinner.)

Sivaangi hummed, "Amma phone pannaga."

(Amma called me.)

"Entha amma?"

(Which amma?)

"Unga amma." Sivaangi said. "She was very upset knowing that new year ku veetla iruka matom nu."

(Your mom. She was very upset knowing that we won't be there for the new year.)

Ashwin hummed, "Pongal ku irupom la. That too our first, Thala Pongal."

(We'll be there for Pongal. That too our first pongal, married.)

Sivaangi giggled, the fact that they were married was so surreal to her. "How was one year as Mr.Sivaangi?"

Ashwin laughed and got out of the car, in front of Sivaangi's hotel. "Mr.Sivaangi konjam periya title than but samaikalam."

(Mr, Sivaangi is a huge title, but I can manage.)

Sivaangi had an amused smile, "Aama en status ku konjam kashtam than."

(Yeah it'll be difficult to match up to my status.)

Ashwin raised an eyebrow, "Oh? Apadiye? So how was being Mrs.Ashwin Kumar?"

Sivaangi hummed teasingly, "Periya difference illa Krishnakumar ku bathila Ashwin Kumar, just few syllables."

(Nothing too different. Instead of Krishnakumar it's Ashwin Kumar, just a few syllables.)

Ashwin walked into the elevator, "Intha pechu ku korachal illa."

(You know how to speak very well.)

Sivaangi laughed, "Enna pandrathu? Unga wife irukarthuku konjam pesa vendama?"

(What to do? As your wife, atleast one of us needs to be able to talk.)

Ashwin looked at her, and he wished he was already next to her. He was growing impatient, "Pesa vendam." He got out of the elevator and walked down the hall