to the woman who my son loves more than me

to the woman who my son loves more than me,

hi sivaangi,

i have known ashwin for 30 years. the stretch of his life, he has spent with me. because i am his mother. i know him inside and out. i know the kind of person he is.

he isn't the kind of person to smile at his phone, he isn't the type of person to stare at his mirror, trying to fix his hair for more than a minute, he isn't the type of person to drive for 2 hours just to get your favourite kind of muffins. but he's done all of this, ever since meeting you.

i may have brought him into this world. but I'm witnessing his world become you.

some people are just floating by in our life. they aren't permanent, but for the time being they are in our life we are happy. the happiness he experiences with you is timeless, unparalleled.

i hope you become his permanent temporary.

when he was growing up, i got to see the world through his eyes. the pure bliss of seeing a child discover something new is exhilarating. the light in their eyes when they experience new things.

i see that in his eyes when he's with you. with you, he's a child with you and he discovers the world differently with you by his side.

men are children. in my years of life, i have come to learn that, at the end of the day, a man is merely a child. they have such simple emotions and are low maintenance with their expectations.

my son, a child, expects nothing but love from you. i believe you will give that to him, because he will repay that in multiples. simply because he doesn't know any other thing. like i said, men. simple emotions.

i hope you won't hurt him. because it would hurt me more than it hurts him. you've given him something irreplaceable and by extension, me as well. i hope to not lose you, as that would mean i would have to lose him.

as a girl, i know we are expected to do certain things, behave in a certain way. my only expectation from you is that you love him, and you love him truly.

as a piece of advice, i will say that, the moment your love becomes a product of changing yourself, it becomes untrue. you need to be yourself, because that's the only thing genuine in this world.

i can see that my son loves you for who you are because that's how i loved him.

as a child, he was never adamant. he's learned to be happy with what he was given. but he sees you as something out of this world, out of his league. he's afraid of losing or hurting you, because you're something miraculous to him. you've made his life beautiful, magical.

my son isn't a diamond, as people say. diamonds loose their shine. my son is a pebble, he's a founding for so many people, and is always strong under the rain, sun, snow. i believe you are a flower growing in his cracks.

a man who doesn't want to hurt you is a man you would want to breathe your last breath with.

i hope to see your flower bloom forever and never wilt.

love,

the woman who loves you because my son does.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

this was inspired by SwarnaD 's one shot, please go check it out!