Chapter 18

Two weeks flew by and Hyunjin felt weirder each passing day. He could swear his chest got wider and his back began getting more and more sore, aching occasionally in the same two spots though the boy was quick to silence that with painkillers. It did scare him a bit, the thought of being addicted to pills lingering on his mind and bringing more and more anxiety to crash on his body until he finally decided that he needed some real help.

He got on call with the doctor, Jaebeom, and when he explained his worries the older was quick to soothe his troubled mind but also appointed a meeting together.

So now Hyunjin was anxiously bouncing his leg up and down as he sat and waited for his doctor's arrival. Five minutes before the arranged time a knock resonated in the house. The boy shot up and quickly answered the door, letting the older man inside. He walked deeper, curiously looking around with a soft smile until it widened when his eyes landed on the younger boy who was nervously standing in front of him.

"I think we can sit down to talk Hyunjin" Jaebeom chuckled and watched as the other nodded and awkwardly gestured for the couch.

"Do you want anything to drink, sir?" Hyunjin gulped.

"Oh gosh Hyunjin don't call me sir, it makes me look so old" Jeabeom laughed and sent a warm smile towards the younger "If you don't want to call me by my name just say 'doc'" he said and saw a glint of relief in the dark eyes of the other boy "Also water would be great"

"On it doc" Hyunjin ran to the kitchen, causing the older man to laugh.

As he was walking back to the living room Jeabeom started again "You've got yourself quite a nice place!"

"Yeah" Hyunjin smiled "It's been really nice staying here but all the... You know... Nervousness and pain have been making it less appealing, let's say" he breathed out, avoiding eye contact.

Jeabeom hummed "So what's causing you discomfort?"

Hyunjin briefly explained all the things that caught his attention and made him feel weird. The doctor listened in silence, only speaking up once the boy had finished.

"To assure you once again - all the things you're experiencing are not out of the ordinary. Could I take a look at your back?" Hyunjin nodded.

The doctor traced his fingers over the visible bumps on the younger boy's back, humming contently "They look fine" he smiled again "Now, Hyunjin. Your body will go through some minor changes that you need to keep track of. You're not making up your chest widening - that's a natural thing that happens. One, for the wings to have more space on your back but also for things called 'air sacs'. Birds have those and they help with the double breathing that you'll start experiencing probably near the end of those three months. Those sacs won't be as big as birds have them in comparison to their size but still - that's a thing you can look for. Next, if you haven't already, you will at some point notice your metabolism speeding up and just know - that's another normal thing, so eat healthy with thought and you'll be fine. Now onto the more complicated stuff-'

"Now we're getting to the complicated stuff?" Hyunhin whined "I feel like you've just given me a biology lesson doc"

"But isn't that why I'm here?" Jeabeom chuckled and sent the younger a playful stare at which he sighed.

"Yeah, right. Go on"

"The wings. See, since you aren't just born with them and as you can clearly feel and see they are forming under your skin, they will have to come out somehow eventually" Hyunjin gulped but relaxed at the doctor's soft and reassuring expression "What's going to happen is that the wings will grow as much as they can under your skin until they are too big. I mean, compared to their final size they will still be small but you know, they will just outgrow their space they're incubating in now. When that happens, they will start tearing through your skin hOWEVER-" Jeabeom pressed to continue even though he saw the younger boy on the verge of tears "Until then you will already be given morphine and when we estimate the time of hatching, you will be in a hospital. So when all of that does happen, you will have all the help and treatment you need, ready to go. The whole process is actually quite quick thanks to all the technology and medication" the man smiled reassuringly at the boy who looked like a hurricane was at its finest whirling in his head but eventually the storm gave up and a rush of relief washed over his face.