Chapter 21

The next three weeks were a nightmare to Hyunjin and everyone around him. He was in constant pain, misery and drowning in anxiety, causing his friends and family to be worried beyond belief and scared for him as well. The boys hated that. He liked the attention, sure, but god why did it have to do with him dragging problems onto others' lives. That was the opposite of what he wanted to be associated with.

Throughout the weeks he was almost never alone and as much as he didn't want to worry his friends too much, he never declined their presence and grew fond of it pretty quickly. He was sure some of them skipped their classes to hang out with him and even if he knew it wasn't right, his selfish side took the better of him and never pointed it out in fear of being left alone (not that he actually believed Felix would listen to him if he told him to stop skipping).

And so the weeks went on but Hyunjin struggled to keep track of time. The pain, being more and more constant, messed with his brain, causing hours and days of restless aches to merge into one, endless cycle of fear and exhaustion. Even with all the support and care he was surrounded by, he couldn't ignore the pain anymore. He finally got a call from his doctor to check up on him and when he arrived, immediately prescribed Hyunjin some special medicine.

The boy was pretty sure it was some sort of a drug but he never pointed it out because for the first time in what felt like years of torture, his body was able to unwind, loosen up and let go of the ache. It did cause him to look and act high half of the time but he couldn't care less, giving into the blissful feeling of normality.

His friends didn't waste a chance to joke about it either, documenting all the stupid things he'd do while stuck in the medicine haze. He wasn't coordinated enough to stop them from taking pictures but it was fine, he'd get them later.

But even though the pain went away the situation was just as strange as before. Hyunjin noticed his metabolism truly changing up like the doctor warned him but the most bizarre thing that crashed on his mind was the fact that now, without having the pain haze clouding his brain, he was actually able to feel the wings. Not in a way that they were dangerously pressing on his skin but in a way like a limb would feel and he even realized he was able to move them while they were still stuck inside of his body. It was weird and freaky but luckily he was too high to care.

It wasn't until one day that his appearance was about to truly change.

Hyunjin, Changbin and Chan were playing Uno outside. The youngest had been feeling exceptionally lost and out of it all the whole day. It was in the garden when he suddenly stood up, looked at his friend and spoke quietll "Oh fuck" before he collapsed on the soft grass, surrounded by yells of panic and fear.

He didn't remember much after that. He'd wake up occasionally and his brain was only able to register tiny bits of what was going on. He remembered being in a car, seeing the annoying white lights of the hospital halls, people yelling around him and finally a soft voice speaking something into his ears as he got was surrounded by pure darkness.

He woke up to an empty room. It was quite pleasant with soft purple walls and white ceiling being way more inviting than the all white and gray look he was used to seeing in hospitals. There was also some wooden furniture which made the place look more 'livable'. Only the bed he was on was slightly ruining the cozy atmosphere with its metal bars and criminally white sheets.

He wiggled around.

He quickly realized there was no pressure on the skin of his back anymore.

He sat up.

The realization shot him when he looked behind his back and saw a pair of tiny, fluffy, white wings attached to his back. He tried moving them but they wouldn't budge and instead remained laying by his back and on the bed.