Chapter 23

"Is it comfortable?" Changbin asked with care as he fastened the belts on a vest that was adorning Hyinjin's chest. It was quite stiff but it was important that it stayed tight. The vest had a long rope tied to its front which was meant to help Hyunjin stabilize his flight once high up in the air. They tied the other side of the rope to a lonely tree that was one of many lonely ones scattered around the meadow that they found. The younger boy was advised to do so after his first lessons with a man who taught him some key basic information about flying and gave him some instruction on how to stay safe even in risky situations. The meeting gave Hyunjin a new rush of determination to try out his newly taught skills so as soon as he met up with Changbin he begged the older to accompany him. And who was the hybrid to say no to his precious boy.

The situation between the two shifted, obviously, but neither of them felt awkward or embarrassed around each other. In fact, Changbin welcoming Hyunjin with an immediate kiss on the lips and a tight hug was a quick ice breaker which only assured the two about their perspectives on their relationship, though none of them seemed to be bold enough to ask the other out, which seemed ridiculous seeing both of them were known for being either reckless or unhinged Still, it didn't discourage them from getting increasingly more touchy with each other, leaving an unspoken rule that they'd officially get together once the right time comes.

In the meantime they also haven't told nor warned their friends about their growing affections which they predicted would raise a lot of questions but they decided to just see when and how the other boys react.

"It's fine!" Hyunjin said excitedly, moving around and stretching a bit "Let's do this!"

"I mean, you're the one doing stuff but sure" Changbin huffed playfully but walked up to the taller one again and planted a quick kiss on his cheek "Stay safe up there, okay?"

Hyunjin's eyes lit up as his face got dusted with a slight red. He nodded aggressively and jogged away from the boy who also walked to the side a bit to not disturb him.

He stretched his wings wide beside him and got ready to run. The weather was exceptionally good, with the sun hidden behind some fluffy clouds and almost no wind down between the trees so Hyunjin smiled brightly while he ran as usual and left the ground, focusing on his extra limbs to carry himself up in the air. He felt more confident with his moves than before but still remained conscious, especially when he was passing the line of trees where he was once again met with some cool breeze. He flew as high as he could before he felt the rope tugging at the vest and keeping him in place. He let his wings relax a little bit as their movements slowed down, now focusing on only keeping him in the air. His mind was so fixed on his movements and being steady only the distant yell of Changbin threw him out of its trance.

“You’re doing great Jinnie!” the younger dared to look down where his friend was waving his arms excitedly “Keep it up!” He gave him a thumbs up and smiled widely.

Hyunjin’s heart immediately melted at the praise and looked at his vest and the rope. He began slowly flying ahead, making his way in a circle around the tree he was tied to.

Down on the ground Changbin looked worriedly but also proudly at his lover’s baby steps (swings?) in the air and couldn’t stop smiling. That was until an excited whistle sounded behind him, causing him to turn and meet eye to eye with Jisung and Chan. The younger jumped around and yelled until he gained the attention of the boy flying above them, who waved back at them and screamed a ‘hello!'.

“Look at him go!” Chan said proudly with a wide smile brightening up his face “I don’t know anyone else who learned to fly but is it just me or he’s making progress really fast?”