Chapter 14

'He's ready for a visit' was all it took for Changbin to run at full speed towards the pointed room alongside Felix and Wooyoung. His heart suddenly started beating faster but he convinced himself it was because of the rapid movements. He swung the door open, jumping inside the room. The space was rather poorly equipped when it came to making the patients feel cozy. The walls were white with two green lines along the ceiling. The floor was made out of gray tiles, on which stood only the hospital beds and curtains separating the patients. Hyunjin was situated the furthest in the room, by the window at which his eyes were focused. Apart from his one, there were two other beds - on one sat a rather young woman, the second was empty, however the presence of crumpled bed sheets and a phone charger showed that someone was definitely occupying it.

Changbin walked through the room, trying not to disturb the other person too much, whose eyes were already fixed on him since he's busted in. He sat on the white bed, gaining Hyunjin's attention. His face was calm but his eyes were holding a weird sense of sadness.

"Hi" Bin spoke softly while smiling a bit. He was soon joined by Felix and Wooyoung. The latter remained standing while the white haired boy also took a seat on the edge of the bed.

"Hi" Hyunjin said, voice a bit raspy but the corners of his lips went up a bit.

"How are you feeling? Anything hurts?" Felix said quickly, visibly anxious and still guilty.

"I'm fine Lix. The leg is alright now but I will get a scar from the stitches" he chuckled "Which I don't mind!" he added quickly upon seeing the shorter's face getting sad again "Felix, stop with this face. You're precious, you didn't want anything bad to happen" the hybrid couldn't help himself and scooted closer to hug Hyunjin. Even though it was a bit much for his tired body, the taller returned the gesture because he really needed it. Right after Felix was done, Hyunjin was surprised when a pair of way more muscular arms also wrapped themselves around his torso.

"We were really worried" he heard Changbin's voice under his ears and he couldn't help but smile and grip the older tighter. After they pulled away Hyunjin looked up at Wooyoung, a bit confused.

"In case you didn't remember I'm Jung Wooyoung" he chuckled "I helped getting you here"

"Thank you" the tallest's expression softened "Really... I can't express how happy I am that you're here right now"

All of their faces had big smiles plastered on them until Hyunjin frowned a bit.

"I have something to tell you" he spoke out but his voice was already cracking a bit. They looked at him, more or less curious while Hyunjin fidgeted with the white bed sheet.

"The doctor said" he brought his eyes up "That I uh... I will have wings"

Changbin's face went blank while his lips parted slightly. Wooyoung's expression on the other hand stayed soft and a small smile appeared.

"Like uh, like a bird? An angel?" Changbin asked, confused.

"I guess?" Hyunjin's eyes mirrored Bin's puzzled expression, showing that he was just as lost as the older.

"And how do you feel about that?" Wooyoung spoke up, smiling softly.

"I... I don't know, honestly. It's a lot to take in..." the raven haired boy covered his face with his hands and inhaled sharply.

"Hey you aren't dying. What's the sad expression for?" Jaebeom walked into the room, eyes shining as usual.

"I'm lost I guess" Hyunjin shrugged.

"Um sir, can he eat normal meals?" Changbin quickly asked the doctor when he stopped next to them.

"He will in..." the doctor looked at the watch on his hand "about twenty minutes."

"Okay, thank you" the shorter smiled and excused the group for a moment.

"Your brain is fine, the dizziness was just the result of the fall. You no longer feel it, right?" after earning a quick nod from Hyunjin, the doctor continued "Have you told them?" another nod "Good. Then I'd like you to phone your mother because I need to have a serious conversation with her but I guess I can start with you-"

"I phoned her already but I doubt that she will come here soon so you can continue" Sohyun walked into the room with Hosung (her fiancé) following close by.

"Okay then. I'll be waiting" Jaebeom turned back to Hyunjin and his curious friends "The whole situation is a bit more complicated than you'd think. The 'hatching' of your wings will take up to three months-"

"What?!" Hyunjin's broken face took words out of Jaebeom's mouth. He didn't know why the younger hated his state so much but he wrote a mental note to himself about trying to figure it out later.

"Unfortunately, yes. What's more, it can take even longer if one is exposed to strong mood swings and emotions as well as environmental changes so that's why in most scenarios we advise the patient to leave school or work for that time. It's very important and obviously I'd discuss everything with your school's principal. My other advice would be moving you somewhere outside of the city for these few months. I know it's a lot but I'm just thinking about making this as easy for you as possible" the doctor's soft eyes gave Hyunjin a bit of hope but apart from that he was completely broken. His whole world was falling apart.

"We can look for a house to rent" Sohyun looked at her brother and Hosung. Suddenly Wooyoung cleared his throat, earning their attention.

"I have a friend who owns a small cabin not that far away from the city. It's in a small neighborhood in the forest, there are maybe three more houses there so it's pretty quiet and peaceful. He uses it mostly for storage now but I guess we could rearrange that if needed?" he said politely while shifting his eyes between the people in the room.

"We don't want to bother you and your friend" Hyunjin's sister started but was quickly stopped by the man.

"No, it's really nothing! The point is, if Hyunjin would want to. I can make the call as soon as possible - I'm sure he won't mind" Wooyoung looked at the said boy with curious eyes.

"I" the raven haired male looked around and sighed "That'd be great hyung"

"Great!" Jaebeom smiled "However there are a few more things. You'll need medical treatment throughout the process because sometimes the wings come out twisted or bent so it's better to catch these changes earlier - it's always easier to fix them. And at one point the hatching can be very painful so it's advised to give small doses of morphine"

Hyunjin was done. It was all going completely wrong!

'I take one day off school and this shit is just being thrown at my face?!'

He covered his face with his hands and just tried to ignore all the sounds around him. He literally wanted to bury himself underground and never come back up.

"Minho will get you something to eat on his way here!" Changbin's happy expression quickly changed when he saw the broken younger "What happened?"