Chapter 20

"What the hell"

"Have I missed something? Are they together?"

"And Chan will still lecture me that this guy's straight"

Hyunjin heard the voices distantly in his head as his dizzy mind began falling back into consciousness. He scrunched his nose and slowly fluttered his eyes open, allowing the morning shine to slide into his view, though the most apparent thing that met his eyes was the black t-shirt Changbin fell asleep in. He moved his head up and was met with the older's face nuzzled into the taller's raven hair, content smile on his calm features. The sight was much pleasing though Hyunjin quickly remembered the presence of two voices before he'd woken up so he wiggled and turned around where two pairs of dark eyes were warily fixed on him.

Hyunjin gulped as neither of the boys spoke a word for a brief moment.

"So what the hell is that about?" Felix finally spoke openly as his eyes let his confusion be known. Jeongin didn't say anything but he remained quite puzzled himself.

"Wh- Okay... Why are you here?" Hyunjin sat up and rubbed his face while flicking his hair back before darting his eyes back to his newcomers.

"Well we sent Changbin to give you some stuff yesterday and then he just vanished. Didn't pick up any calls or answered any texts - same with you. So we decided to drop by and see if everything is alright" Felix spoke casually as he flopped onto one of the armchairs. Jeongin sat on the edge of the couch the boys were sleeping on "Plus I just wanted to update you on some school stuff and Yena happened to be free for a while" the cougar hybrid shrugged while nodding his head at the younger hybrid "You dodged my first question though"

Hyunjin shuffled in his seat. He still felt the warmth of Changbin's legs near his own and he had a weird urge to go back to sleep in the boy's arms nibbling at his mind. He shook it off though.

"My back hurts and he helps me sleep" he shrugged, knowing that technically he was speaking the truth. Not the whole truth but truth nonetheless.

Jeongin cocked a brow as Felix chuckled "Not to foreshadowing but any stories of friends with benefits that I know have only two outcomes - hate or love, so which one are you aiming for?" the boy's words were bold and pinpoint accurate as he spoke right into Hyunjin's soul.

The tallest's eyes widened as he vaguely gestured to the hybrid still somehow asleep next to him.

"Love it is~" Felix rolled the last word and jumped to the kitchen to grab something from the fridge.

"What the hell do you mean?!" Hyunjin was starting to get fed up with his friends being so good at figuring his feelings out. It annoyed him beyond his own understanding.

"Hyung do you like him?" Jeongin asked but not in a mocking way. In fact his tone was more curious and soft than anything.

The tallest thought for a moment "I... I don't know" and he did speak the truth. He was lost in his feelings and their meaning and he felt that pulling out the big cards from the very beginning wasn't his style nor made him comfortable.

Felix hummed "I don't see a 'no''' he bit down on his chocolate waffle and smiled cheekily.

Hyunjin didn't speak but sighed and finally stood up when immediately his back shot a bolt of pain up his spine and stopped near his shoulder blades where the wings were growing. He yelped and fell back to the bed, bending to his knees in an attempt to ease the pain and fear running through his veins. The boys quickly ran up to him and began gently caressing his arms and hair. It felt nice but the pain wasn't going away or becoming lesser, causing his eyes to fill with tears.

"What the-" Changbin mumbled but quickly shot up when he noticed what was going on.

Hyunjin's head shot straight to alarm mode as he felt his insides burning up. He felt the wings on his back, felt their movements against his painfully stretched skin which burned as if daring to break at any moment, the feeling similar to needles being pushed into him. The normal ache he's grown used to now welled up, spreading to every little corner of his body and remained boiled up, not stopping for a second. The boy gasped for breath as his vision became blurry, mixing colors and shapes into one, unknown picture.

"Kitchen- Cabinet" Hyunjin whispered through gritted teeth as he hugged his knees tighter "Fuck-" he breathe out, feeling as if he would throw up and pass out at the same time.

Changbin jumped out of the bed and rushed to the other room, flying open all of the cabinets until he spotted a box of painkillers in one of them. He grabbed a pill, a glass of water and rushed to the gasping boy. Hyunjin chugged the pill down but remained in the previous position for a while. The oldest boy sat by his back and caressed its lower part.

Soon Hyunjin relaxed and finally opened his eyes. His face felt sore from scrunching it, along with his limbs which were stuck in one, tight position and under a long ache he'd never experience before. He took a deep breath. He turned around where Changbin was sitting and without a second thought he buried his face in the older's chest, letting out soft gasps.

The shorter, sending a confused look to the two other boys who didn't look that surprised at all apart from beibg worried, wrapped his hands around his taller friend and softly ran his fingers along the bumps on Hyunjin's back, noting their growth since the day before.

"That was scary" the younger whispered and tightened his grip around Changbin who did the same, though being careful not to hurt the boy.

"You did great and now you're okay. Everything will be fine Jinnie" the older hummed out softly. He then looked up at the two hybrids observing them.

Felix had a wide grin on his face, same for Jeongin. The first grabbed the younger by his arms and playfully gestured, pretending to kiss him. Changbin rolled his eyes and put one of his hands up with the middle finger out.

×××

"How much more of that do you have to endure hyung?" I.N said between sipping on his banana milk. They made a quick breakfast since most of them haven't eaten yet. Hyunjin, being the only one able to cook reasonably, opted to scrambled tofu which he served to his friends. They walked to the arbor in the garden where they chilled by the wooden table, relaxing in the cool the nearby trees were providing.

"Two, three weeks. Something like that" Hyunjin said, looking up to recall the talk he had with his doctor "I will have to be under observation in like a week or so" he shoved a fork full of food in his mouth.

"Shit bro" Felix said, hand covering his lips to prevent his breakfast from landing on the table in front of him "Want me to be your weekly banana milk delivery man?" he chuckled but choked and wheezed, causing Jeongin who sat next to him to smack his back. The older soon calmed down. Hyunjin laughed quietly, same for Changbin.

"I mean, I won't say no to that kind of offer" the tallest chuckled out "But to be honest all of you are always welcomed to hang around here. You don't even have to spend time with me... Just... Having someone around is nice" he looked down at his food shyly. He didn't see but Changbin's eyes lit up at that.

"You don't know what you're asking for boy!" Felix yelled "I can rot here all day long!"

"You can expect me a lot too" Changbin laughed out.

"You've already been here a lot lately hyung" Hyunjin smiled playfully.

"I don't plan to break that streak Jinnie" the older matched his friend's tone as he smirked cheekily.