thirty eight - Тридцать восемь

"Are you sure you don't want me to keep carrying you?" Bucky asked as he followed behind me, hovering over me cautiously.

"Yes Bucky," I said as I breathed heavily, grasping the railing leading to my front door. I fumbled for my keys in my pocket and dropped them.

"Shit.." I muttered under my breath. Quickly, Bucky came to my side bending over and handing me the keys. At the same time, my neighbors door opened, revealing Mr. Nakajima in the doorway.

He wore an expression of hurt, which mirrored Bucky's look of pain as he turned to see who I was looking at.

"Hi Mr. Nakajima," I said softly as i tried to smile, giving him an awkward wave as I tried to put my key in the door. Bucky stood behind me, staring at Mr. Nakajima.

"Hello Lina," he said curtly with a nod, completely ignoring Bucky's presence. I stayed quiet as I slowly pushed the door open into my apartment. Mr. Nakajima put his hat on, before disappearing down the alley.

I looked behind me, taking note of the redness of Bucky's eyes, making his eyes appear even more blue. The bags under his eyes made him look even more hurt. I knew he was exhausted from taking care of and worrying about me, and seeing Yori was the icing on the cake.

I placed my hand on his cheek as small gesture as we stepped into my apartment. He dropped my bag, shutting the door behind him, before pulling me into him.

My hand still rested against his cheek, my thumb moving back and forth softly for a moment before Bucky turned his head placing a soft kiss to my palm.

"You did what you had to," I said softly, Bucky's arms wrapped around me, pulling me into an even tighter embrace. My hand moving from his cheek, to wrap my arms around his shoulders, as he buried his face into my neck.

We stayed like that, standing in the door way just holding each other. The both of us exhausted, mentally and physically. We both smelled like hospital and new gauze but I couldn't let him go. I didn't dare try as I felt a few small tears fall onto my neck.

"You are no longer the Winter Soldier. You are Bucky Barnes, the man I love," I whispered into his ear as my fingers found the soft curls of his hair, playing with them as I tried to comfort him best I could.

He nodded softly, but never let go, just wanting to stay with me. Nothing else in that moment mattered except for him. Not the bullet wound, the weird hospital smell or anything else.

Just the two of us holding each other as if we were the last people on earth.