XV

Chaeyoung lies in the hospital bed, staring blankly at the white wall to the side of her

Chaeyoung lies in the hospital bed, staring blankly at the white wall to the side of her. The room is dark save the faint orange light that escapes from under the door and pale moonlight that beams through the window. 

Chaeyoung sullenly traces the shadows created by the moonlight as she lies, replaying the scene of Jimin's lips on another. 

I'm always the second choice, Chaeyoung thinks bitterly, turning to lay on her back, It isn't the first time this has happened. 

///flashback///

Chaeyoung blows a bright pink bubble as she leans against the pillows in her room, phone in hand. Popping the bubble she smiles as she gets a notification, the name that pops onto her screen giving her instant joy.

Jungkook 💞

10:23 P.M

are you asleep?

no, rose never sleeps lol

then sleep. you always look so tired at school

ill be fine, did u need

to say something?

nah, i just wanted to tell you
goodnight <3

At this Chaeyoung covers her face with her hands and emits a silent shriek, completely infatuated with Jeon Jungkook after the many nights she has spent exchanging pointless banter and sweet words over text. 

Picking up the phone again, she grins down at the text before typing her own goodnight, her finger hovering over the red heart emoji. She pauses for a second, looking at her text which now reads "goodnight ❤️️" but quickly decides against it and replaces the heart with ":)". She sends it quickly, her face flushing red at Jungkook's reply.

"Sleep well <3"

"I- oh my god, ohmygodohmygod," Chaeyoung shrieks, quickly covering her mouth with her hand when she realizes her parents are still awake downstairs. Chaeyoung grins widely and jumps up and down on her bed ecstatically before picking up her phone and dialing a number. She has obviously dialed this number many times, for she does it quickly, barely looking at her phone.

"Lisaaaaa," she whisper-screams, flopping onto her bed and hugging a little chipmunk stuffed animal, "you'll never guess what I'm about to tell you."

"What?" Lisa asks, her voice excited and waiting. Chaeyoung can picture her perking up like an adorable dog that knows you are about to feed it. 

"I know I haven't told you about this, but-" Chaeyoung pauses, her face flushing pink as she begins to tell Lisa about her infatuation, "I've been texting Jungkook, and  I know he can be a jerk to you at school, but he's actually really sweet and caring and today he even texted me goodnight with a little heart next to it."