Chapter 18

Toy

We celebrated his birthday together, just the two of us. True to what he said, he cooked the dishes himself and I only helped in preparing the ingredients. He said he didn't want a cake when I told him I'd bake one. Medyo nasaktan ako doon but I realized I shouldn't have told him about my plan. I could just have made it and gave it to him straight away. I felt bad for not giving him anything on his birthday. I didn't have much time to prepare for it.

"I told you, it's okay. It's not like I really celebrate my birthday. I only do it this year because I have someone to celebrate it with," he said and gestured me to eat the Kare-Kare that he cooked. "I don't think it tastes delicious like your Mom's. But I hope it's up to your liking."

Imbes na kumain agad ay kinuhanan ko muna ng picture ang handa niya. Pagkaing Pinoy lahat ng iyon at talaga namang nakakatakam tingnan. But the more I looked at it, the more I think there should be a birthday cake.

I glanced at Gab, then continued taking photos. "Bakit ayaw mo ng cake? Is it because I'm the one making it?"

It sounded so casual that I didn't bother to think what he's thinking.

I saw him knot his forehead. He pressed his lips forming a line.

I shifted my eyes to my phone. Isisend ko ang mga pictures mamaya kay Mommy. She's in Manila now. Kung nandito sana siya ay siguradong iimbitahan ko siyang pumunta dito sa kabila. At para padalhan na niya ako ng mga gamit ko rito.

"Not that I don't want you to make it. It just reminds me..." he looked at me, sadly, "...of my mother. "

I couldn't help but notice his eyes as he spoke. They're filled with anguish.

"The day I passed the BAR, she wanted to surprise me by giving me a cake. She was getting weak that time. Hindi na nagre-respond ang katawan niya sa mga gamot kaya nasa bahay na lamang siya. Kaya nagpabili siya sa isang kaibigan niya ng cake para sana mag- celebrate kami pagdating ko ng bahay nang araw na iyon. Pagdating ko, she was at the door waiting for me, holding the cake." He sighed, then looked up and turned his gaze to me. "And a moment after that, she died in my arms."

He gulped and looked up. Nagpakawala siya ng malalim na buntong-hininga.

"It was too... sudden. I never got to thank her for everything."

I immediately sat in the chair and pressed my palms together. "I'm sorry. I didn't know it's such a painful reminder to you. I shouldn't have insisted on it. I'm sorry."

Gab leaned forward, reaching for my hand, but held back. "Hey. It's- It's all right."

"Your mother must be really proud of you up there," turo ko sa taas. "...for all your achievements."

He leaned his elbow on top of the table and lightly touched his lips using his thumb. "Yes, for sure. And I really appreciate your intention. Gawan mo nalang ako ng cake sa susunod."

I grabbed the utensils and served myself. "Fine. But I don't think we'd still be together on your 31st birthday."

Malamang tapos na ang kontrata namin isang araw bago 'yon. We'll be taking separate ways after that.

"It's going to be on our 366th day, then." I heard him laugh. "Will you spend an extra day with me?"

I rose my head and watched him chew his food.

I laughed, too. "If I'm not going to be strict, then I'll allow it."

"I just hope you're still around on that day," aniya at sinalinan ako ng juice sa baso.