thirty

Chapter 30

Yikyung started the engine and waited for Hyunjin and Yiyeon to get inside. It was almost time for dinner, and the three have decided to order food and take it home.

"How did you guys like my mini-treat for the two of you?" The eldest among them asked. He began driving and waited for the two to answer.

"It was fun, really," Hyunjin said. "Thanks for treating us, hyung!" He smiled.

Yiyeon, who was seated at the back seat, sighed. Her brother looked at her through the rearview mirror. "I hate to admit it, but this was a good day," she said as she stretched her arms.

Her brother smiled, "How was the feeling of being able to play volleyball again after roughly two years?" Yikyung asked.

"It was... surreal," she smiled as her eyes focused on the buildings outside. "When Yunseo asked me to play with them, I was a bit uncertain because I haven't trained for quite a while." Yiyeon sighed as the car slowly stopped at a red light. "The feeling of my arms being hit by the ball hurts, but it's quite refreshing. It somehow feels new, but the familiarity still lingers."

"You did great earlier," Hyunjin said and looked at her. "You even attracted some people because of how you played earlier."

The girl scoffed and rolled her eyes, "You're the one to talk." She took a deep breath, "I really missed it... like... playing volleyball."

Yikyung chuckled as he stepped on the gas, "They even asked if you were indeed a middle blocker because of your spike and serve. I was really proud of you earlier, did you know that?"

Yiyeon smiled, "You guys are sappy. Stop it!" She said, making the two laugh at her reaction.

Noticing that it became silent, Hyunjin connected his phone to the car's speakers. He scanned through his playlist and pressed a song.

"You don't know, babe
When you hold me
And kiss me slowly
It's the sweetest thing
And it don't change
If I had it my way
You would know that you are..."

"I didn't know that you knew this song," Yiyeon commented.

Her cousin scoffed, "Thanks to the person who plays this on loop for I don't know... maybe three hours?" Hyunjin rolled his eyes even if she couldn't see it.

"Well, it's a good song, don't you agree?" She chuckled.

"Alright, alright. I would appreciate it more if you guys shut up," Yikyung shushed.

"You're the coffee that I need in the morning
You're my sunshine in the rain when it's pouring
Won't you give yourself to me
Give it all, oh..."

"Hyunjin-ah, when will the semi-finals happen?" Yiyeon asked.

Hyunjin thought for a while and then looked at the girl who was seated in the back seat, "They told us that it's on the first week of November, but it's not yet final, I think?" He shrugged.

Yiyeon nodded and took note of the week that Hyunjin mentioned. Then, she opened her phone and highlighted the first week of November in her calendar.