thirty two

Chapter 32

"You've been playing volleyball since the third grade of primary school? That's amazing!" One could tell that Yiyeon's eyes were gleaming upon listening to Jacob's stories. "I could never have the passion for doing something that long..." she sighed.

The boy laughed, "I think you still have it within you. You're just not confident with yourself, Yiyeon-ssi." He smiled as he sipped on his juice. "When we played at the park weeks ago, none of us could even tell that it's been years since you've played. Your jump serve was on point, and your digs were great, too. You can even spike better than me. Heck, Yunseo just pulled you out of nowhere and played with us normally. You didn't even stretch."

Yeah, and my body hurt like hell the next day. Definitely not doing it again. Not warming up before any sports is not recommended.

Yiyeon chuckled awkwardly, "Unlike you, who has been a setter since you started playing, I have played several positions until I became a middle blocker back in middle school." She looked at her hands that were holding onto her handkerchief and smiled sadly. "I was the libero when I started playing in fifth grade. Then, in sixth grade, I became an opposite hitter. Then, when I became a middle schooler, that's when I became a middle blocker."

"Yiyeon is an excellent player no matter where she's rotated to!" Yunseo cheered. "She's able to block most of the opponent's spikes. She's the reason why both our offense and defense are strong." The former captain smile as she patted Yiyeon's shoulder.

"That was before, though," Yiyeon chuckled as she finished her drink. She looked at the time on her phone and realized that the basketball team's practice should be ending anytime soon. "My brother should be arriving any moment to pick Hyunjin and me up. I have to go," she said as she gathered her things.

Yunseo looked puzzled, "A-Ah, is that so?" She frowned. "Let's meet another time again, then?" She asked, and Yiyeon nodded.

"That would happen," Yiyeon smiled. She swung her bag over her shoulder and waved at the two of them. "Take care on your way back, Yunseo! You too, Jacob-ssi!" With that, she left the establishment.

Jacob sighed as he placed his chin on his palms. He started at the door dreamily and let out another sigh.

Yunseo could only roll her eyes.

***

Hyunjin's eyes widened upon seeing Yiyeon inside the car. The girl just laughed as she waved her hand at her cousin.

Yikyung looked at the boy through the rearview mirror. He sat on the passenger's seat, looking wearier than usual, and although there was quite a distance between them and Hyunjin, who was seated at the back, it was as if they could hear his heartbeat.

"You okay? You look... dead," the eldest among them asked. Training has been tough for Hyunjin (and Yiyeon, too, when she was still in varsity in middle school). This day was an exception, though. He looked exasperated. Hyunjin's hair was sticking out in all directions as if he just woke up. He was sweaty, too—like he's just gotten a bath.