thirty nine

Chapter 39

"I'm happy for you and Jeno," Yejin smiled as she sipped from her coffee.

Yiyeon sighed and placed her hand on top of her friend's, "Stop pretending you're okay. Tell me what you were supposed to tell me last night before you left." She said. "You were playing with them at the pool area, right?"

She nodded, "Yeah... two truths and a lie..." She looked away. "Long story short, I indirectly told Daewon that I like him," Yejin sighed and looked down. "I don't think he was able to get the message, though..."

"What did you tell him, anyway?" Yiyeon raised a brow.

"Like hell, I'm telling you! You'd only laugh at me!" 

"Why would I laugh at you?!"

Sighing, Yejin looked at Yiyeon, "I told him that I have someone I like. Secondly, I said that I talk about a lot of things with them..." she paused. Then, she continued, "Then he suddenly asked me what did the person I like told me... then I told a lie: He's not the person I like."

Yiyeon's eyes widened, "Knowing Daewon, he's probably whacking his brain trying to figure out who the person is. If not, he's probably still thinking about the lie."

***

"For someone who talks a lot, you've been quiet since we've started training," Mark told Daewon.

The basketball team was ordered to run around the campus for their warm-up. However, according to their coach, the ten laps inside the basketball court were not a part of the warm-up.

Grunts of disagreement left their lips as they started running earlier, but they realized that it wasn't all bad while running.

Daewon shook his head, "Was I that quiet for you to say something, captain?" He chuckled. He returned his attention on the trail as they continued running. "I don't know... I've been occupied since last night. Don't get me wrong. I didn't drink alcohol, but..."

"Was it the game? I don't wanna pry, but is there something wrong with you and Yejin?" He asked. "You don't need to tell me anything about you two, don't worry." 

"It started when I realized my feelings for her, my best friend..." 

He and Mark slowed down.

"You guys can go ahead. Daewon and I are just going to buy some snacks for everyone at the cafeteria," Mark said, ordering the rest of the team to continue jogging.

The two of them walked towards the cafeteria.

"You developed feelings for Yejin?" Mark asked.

The other boy nodded. "I did, and when I dropped hints, I think she took it the wrong way... and then we suddenly stopped talking..."