Eventful Evening

Korra felt the wind in her face as she flew down to where a group of mecha tanks was continuously shooting at the two figures ahead of them. She landed swiftly on the cement road and quickly threw her glider on the side. Bolin saw her and frantically waved in her direction.

"Korra!—Kuvira—Army—tanks—killing us!" Bolin's voice echoed together with the metal footsteps of the mecha tanks and the simultaneous blasts they're directing towards them.

"I can see that!" Korra ran, closing the distance while making an earth-bending stance in the process to create a leeway before the people controlling the machines started to miraculously know how to hit a target.

"Heya, kid! Nice to see you again. How are—" A loud crash loomed over the night as debris came flying everywhere, one of the tanks just shot through the piece of land Korra had earth bent. A scream on her right was heard. She just realized the number of people in the streets and the rows of shops open at this time of the hour. She bent the road again to be their cover in which she will have to deal with President Raiko perhaps tomorrow when he sees the broken street lamps and blown-up roads.

"You two will need to evacuate all the people as far away from this intersection. I'm sure backup will come soon." Their heavy pants and disheveled looks would tell that they didn't have much energy, but they nodded as Korra peeped above the temporary wall she made. The tanks were nearing their location. She scanned her surroundings, looking for a tall raven-haired figure. Asami should be around somewhere. The soldiers hit their cover, causing them to stand back, "Go!" Korra shouted. The two ran towards the confused crowd and directed them to safety.

She jumped just in time. Another blast came shooting and tore the cover into smaller rocks. Six mecha tanks, she counted, all in the design of a dark green pattern with a symbol in front. They don't seem to be stopping anytime soon, so Korra water bent the nearest pipe and threw it across one machine, icing it in the process. Another one shot in her direction. She made an air wall around her, but the force had her tumbling down to the ground.

Korra groaned but quickly went back to her feet. The people are panicking now, walks turned into paces as one of the mecha tanks faced the fading figures, and her legs ran before she could think. The pink array of light was the last thing she saw when it hit her from behind because that's what her body told her to do; run towards danger.

She got thrown in one of the shops, shattered glasses everywhere, piles of hats and designer clothes on the floor and this time, it took her a long time to get up.

"Korra!" Mako walked through the broken window shop, stepping on shards of glasses as he reached a hand for Korra to help her. Asami must've had the Republic City police on speed dial as gray uniforms with the yellow logo on their hats swarm the intersection from outside the shop.

"You okay?"

She grunted in the process while trying to find her balance, "Fine. I just hate getting thrown like a rag doll all the time."

"We've got the local division from the mid-Republic unit. Chief Beifong and I were trying to plan an operation for the gang wars when Asami radioed us." Mako said, scanning the whole area, checking to see if there were any spies or Kuvira's accomplices around other than the six death machines.

Most of the people were away from the intersection now. More metal bending officers arrived, led by the Chief of Police herself. They've surrounded most of the mecha tanks and Korra was sure they had them outnumbered, but the size of those things and not to mention the amount of power they blast from their cannon is going to be a huge problem.

Korra saw the two mecha tanks were still attacking the two gentlemen.

"They're still after Bolin and Varrick! I'll try and distract the two tanks! Go help them!" Korra shouted, running towards the two figures that were still being followed by the two machines. The other four are already preoccupied with the police force as they are chained down by their metal whips.