Missing

Asami stared at the letter on the table. She didn't know what much to make of it; the name was staring back, mocking her, accompanied by the background silence in her office. Hiroshi Sato kept sending her letters. And every time it goes straight to the drawer on the bottom right of her table. This time, Asami let the envelope linger on top of the table a little longer. She was getting tired of it, yet she can't seem to throw the letters away for some reason. Eventually, the heiress will have to deal with it whether she liked it or not. Sometime this week. She kept waiting for another name to wind up on her mail, but disappointment welcomes her every time she opens the mailbox.

After what appeared to be ages just gawking at the envelope, she took a deep breath then went to put it in the bottom drawer where all the other letters go.

Asami laid her back on the chair, crossing her arms and her legs. Now she has taken an interest in the ceiling. Plain, white, well, she could say fazing because of the light. But empty. That's what she feels at this moment. Ever since her mom died, she knew there will always be something missing and her father didn't waste time to prove it. The void her mom left their family gnawed through her growing years, and it forced her to grow up sooner than any of the people her age. Hiroshi enrolled the engineer in self-defense classes. So, when the time comes that she needs to use it, she will be ready. She went with the flow of life, and she worked on what she did best. Asami wanted to become an engineer, so she became one of the brightest minds of her age. For her mom, and to make his dad proud.

But now, she just felt empty.

The engineer looked around the office and found a stack of blueprints lined up at the far-left corner of the room.

Huh. Blue. Water. Southern Water Tribe.

She will not cry anymore. She will not.

Chief Tonraq of the Southern Water Tribe.

She is tired of crying.

South Pole.

She won't cry anymore. Her eyes start to betray her, though, as her vision blurs while staring at the blueprints.

Chief Tonraq of the Southern Water Tribe, father of the Avatar.

She wipes a tear that dared flow on her right cheek.

Kor-

Knock. Knock.

Asami blinked a few times and turned her head to the door. Tin's figure showed as she peeked through.

"Miss Sato? They're ready for you." She gave Asami a small smile.

Asami straightened her posture and took another deep breath, "Okay, give me a few minutes, then you can let them in." She nodded towards her assistant while she pulled a drawer from her left.

Tin was still standing near the door, holding the doorknob with her right hand. She hesitated but asked, "Will you be alright?"

"I will." She pulled out a hand mirror and smiled at Tin, "Thank you."

Her assistant looked at her ruefully, but she let the heiress be and closed the door.

Asami raised the mirror to look at her reflection. She uses her right thumb to wipe a smudge of lipstick on the bottom right corner of her lip and then got lipstick from the same drawer. The heiress reapplied the lipstick, gave her mouth a smacker, and then examined her features by turning her head from left to right. Asami tried fixing her hair, tied back with a loose ponytail, and strands of her raven black hair on either side of her face that perfectly captured her beauty. Satisfied, she put the mirror and the lipstick back in the drawer as she heard another set of knocks at the door. She put her hands together at the table as the corner of her lips stretched upward, mustering the most charming smile and said, "Come in."