Korra Alone Part 2

Korra cursed her legs almost every day when she still couldn't move them. She would hit it with sheer force at times in hopes of feeling sensations. She hated every second of being stuck in the wheelchair, loathed every eye looking her way, wondering, worrying, empathizing.

Korra would scream underneath her pillow some nights and let the frustrations out of her system. The dread of having to wake up amid the moon falling and the sun rising. Beaded with sweat, heavy panting, and the only clear image Korra sees when her eyes open is the person who tried to kill her—suffocating her—literally sucking the life out of her.

She wouldn't admit it to anyone, not even to herself, but she thought of it a lot in the past two years if it was even worth sacrificing her life for the air nation. A part of Korra would surmise that it is, and it will always be a part of her duty. To be the Avatar has its perks, but sadly, it also has its consequences.

The heavy feeling in Korra's chest never faltered two years later as she found herself sitting in a lotus position trying and failing to clear her mind, waiting, meditating. She steadied her breathing; one trick Tenzin has taught her to meditate ages ago back in the gazebo at Air Temple Island. Spirits has it been long ago.

With eyes closed, Korra felt her spirit extract from her body. Slowly, floating up into another dimension, seeing the spirit world's bright lights, feet almost touching the ground only to be blocked by her literal nightmares.

Zaheer.

Her spirit went and came with much force as she slipped back into reality, pulled as if she awoke from the bucket of water splashed on her face.

Fifteen seconds. She subconsciously counted. Longer than before, Korra thought.

She sat there for a few more minutes until eventually, she went home. As Korra entered the Chieftain's palace, she walked the long hallways up to her family's wing passing the kitchen. She was welcomed by Senna preparing the dining table for supper. Korra met her gaze briefly, flashing a smile that doesn't quite reach her eyes. Her smile hasn't been full ever since.

"Korra, how was meditation?" Senna put down the plate she was holding and acknowledged her daughter.

"It was okay," Korra lied, struggling to meet Senna's eyes. She thought looking directly at her will give it away, so she averted it every chance she gets.

Something she's been good at doing recently, hiding what she really felt from her parents. Korra couldn't take another pitiful glance her way, especially with her them.

"How about you go wash and then we'll have dinner. Your father is gonna come home any time soon."

"I'm not really hungry right now, mom," Korra flashed her an apologetic smile, "but I'll come down when I will." She added, feeling bad in the way Senna looked hurt.

"Okay. I'll leave some food on the table for you then," Senna swiftly moved towards Korra and kissed her on the forehead. She watched her figure disappear into the hallway.

Senna continued setting up the table, putting three plates anyway. She'd prepare the food for Korra when she's ready, she thought. Loud footsteps were heard from the opposite hall where Korra came from and in came Tonraq, gray streaks of hair also visible with tired eyes. Senna smiled warmly at her husband, moving towards him for a peck on the lips. Chaste, soft, and welcoming.

"Hi honey," Tonraq greeted her, broad arms wrapped around her wife's shoulder. He looked at the dining table set with three plates prepared nicely. "Not hungry again?" Tonraq met her wife's eyes once more. A mutual connection seemed to get passed along their gazes.