Caregiver

It's been two weeks since Korra's battle with Zaheer. Two weeks since Asami moved back to Air Temple Island. Nobody was surprised because everyone assumed that she'll be staying for a while to take care of the Avatar. Ever since the healer's incident during the first night, she has never left Korra's side.

Korra can't move her legs. The battle took a significant toll on her body. From what Asami understood, Korra had suffered injuries internally, including her spine, thus the lack of feeling in her lower extremities. Kya said she's going to walk again, but not anytime soon. Hence, Korra needed assistance with almost everything.

Asami helped change her clothes, assisted to bathe her, encouraged her to eat as much as possible, held her during the healing sessions, and stayed with the Avatar when the nightmares came.

The nightmares were terrible. It happened almost every day. After Asami made sure Korra was asleep, she leaves Korra's room, goes to her room, then right when she is about to sleep. She finds herself getting back up whenever she hears the screams of Korra.

-

"NO! Stop. Please!" Like muscle memory, Asami bolted upright and ran towards Korra's room, "I don't want to!" the girl screamed.

Oh, Korra.

She reached through the door, slid it open, and swiftly moved to the bed.

Sitting down, facing Korra, she stroked her right arm, trying to wake her up.

"Hey, Korra. It's Asami, you're okay. Please wake up." Korra was beaded with sweat and looked strenuous from whatever nightmare she's having now.

Please wake up, I can't protect you in your nightmares.

On cue, Korra's eyes opened, followed by a loud gasp. She was breathing heavily and was looking around the room, possibly concerned about the threat she just had in her dream. She then locked eyes with Asami.

"You're okay. It was just a nightmare." Asami then scooted closer, now hugging Korra.

"It's Zaheer. He was trying to kill me again. I wasn't gonna make it." Korra responded, exhaling slowly, trying to catch her breath.

"You're safe now, Korra. I want you to follow my breathing, okay? Just breathe in and out." Asami held Korra's left hand and placed it on her chest to feel her breathing. "Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Good."

Zaheer again. Asami thought. She would give everything just to keep that man away from Korra. He has hurt her terribly, and seeing Korra struggling like this, pains her to the extent of invigorating her needs to track down Zaheer and just end him. Whatever it takes.

Korra's breathing went back to normal, and they were both able to relax. Their position in bed didn't only make Asami's stomach flip, but it also made her self-conscious.

Ever since she mentally admitted to herself that she likes Korra more than a friend, Asami has been hyper-aware of how close she's been with her. She has been there to take care of Korra's needs. Asami didn't mind though, she loved spending all her time with her, and whenever those blue eyes look at her, it's like she's about to melt in a pile of goo.

Much to her dismay, she had to keep her feelings in check. Korra doesn't need this right now. She'll do everything for Korra, even if it means hiding her own emotions.

Being in bed with Korra and holding her close isn't helping her cause one bit. This is what friends do, right? Just casually snuggling in the same bed when one is having a nightmare, and the other soothes her faster than a bolt of lightning—just friends.

"I'm sorry, Asami. I'm always keeping you up at night. It's the fourth time it's happened now." Korra suddenly spoke in the darkness.

"No worries. You know I'm always here. I don't want you to go through this alone." Asami responded.