Farewell for now

There was something in the air around the island that felt different whenever Asami goes out for walks to clear her mind. Soft, breezy wind prickling her skin made her hug herself as she strode on the training grounds with no destination in mind.

Mako had to go back to work and do detective work, so he wasn't around that much anymore, and Bolin, well, she was sure he told her where he'd be going. But the heiress was too engaged in being Korra's caregiver.

The air acolytes and the other airbenders have been busy preparing for Jinora's ceremony that was happening a week from now. Asami always thought that she is wise beyond her years. The ceremony officially conducting her as the youngest airbending master in history just proved it.

It kept the island busy after the events concerning the Red Lotus weeks ago. Everyone was starting to go on their normal lives, except for maybe one particular person.

Korra.

Try as Asami might, the need to fight her way to Korra—through Korra seemed to get excruciatingly difficult. Asami can feel her slipping away. She couldn't even argue with her; everyone seems to be walking on nails whenever she's around.

Asami finally finished building the wheelchair and showed it to Korra, whom she knew she was grateful for. However, Korra didn't show it gracefully.

Korra sure knows how to take the mood out of the room when she enters. Whenever everyone sees her, their looks turn from happy to sadness, with concern lingering in the space. Because there she was, the tremendous mighty Avatar stuck in a wheelchair, helpless.

Feeding her was one task Asami dreaded. She wanted Korra to be better as fast as her body could, but she would only take two or three bites. Her muscles are starting to wilt away. The heiress knows that the Avatar is aware, hence, the lazy attitude with her healing sessions and, basically, everything.

Senna helped with her care as much as she could, but Korra wouldn't even acknowledge her sometimes. More often than she didn't want to, she found herself comforting Korra's mom, convincing her that Korra didn't mean it, and she's probably just tired. But then again, Korra's tired all the time.

Asami sighed, breathing in the fresh air. She looked at the horizon, the city's view barely visible in the thick fog surrounding it. She wonders how all the people in the Republic city are busy enjoying their lives, working in the morning and going back to their homes at night. Just normal. Oh, how she wanted to be one of those people, maybe come home, to Korra, cuddle in bed, ask how her day went, maybe ask her out on a date—.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. It was getting challenging to keep her feelings in check as she grew closer to Korra. They have had more intimate moments, in the essence of providing care per se, than she could ever imagine. Still, she didn't mind. Korra's recovery is more important right now. That's what she always says.

She eventually went back to the main house and into the dining room to join the others for lunch.

-

"How is this even fair?" Korra whined as Asami beat her to the game of Pai Sho, for the nth time.

"What? Your moves are predictable." She smiles sheepishly at the Avatar as she fixed the pieces for another game. Korra just pouted, and she used all her might to stop herself from grabbing the girl in front of her and just kiss that cute face. She then focused back on what she was doing.

"I play for the winner!" Bolin chimed as he moved the position of the board game to face in his direction and sat beside Korra.

They were out on the patio today. After Korra's healing session, she asked Asami if they can go outside because she wanted to watch the air benders train. Asami excitedly wheeled her to the patio since it was the first time she's seen interest from the Avatar in days. They saw Bolin coming from the docks with the Pai Sho board in hand. Thus, they are playing or getting their ass kicked by the heiress all the time.