14.New Hope

Please Vote dear readers...Your votes motivates my regular updation

Dedicated to Bhoot777777

Yadhu's POV

The chants of prayers that surrounded me couldn't soothe my aching heart. Am I doing the right thing? Do I deserve to be standing among these people after the crime that I had done? And Kanika? Do I have the right to even be part of her life after committing such a sin? My mind was clouded with thoughts that were killing my conscience over and over again.

"Nandhuuu..."Kanika's squeal brought me back to my senses. She looked excited, like a child celebrating her birthday with friends. I forced a smile at her while she was happily talking to Arjun, Smitha, and Adi. At times, she would take my name to make sure that I was not left out of her conversation. Kanika has managed to steal the hearts of all of them in just a week though I found that she was not quite fond of Shreya. It was mainly because of Shreya's stern behavior, which is nothing but a wall she built around herself and only opened it to her trustworthy friends.

"Nandhu...Arju says I look like my dolly and Adi says, I look like a princess. Am I beautiful, Nandhu?" she twirled around, holding the pleats of her pallu.

Kanika was jumping with happiness when Shrey told her that she would get married to me at this temple today. I didn't know what to tell her ...she indeed looked like an innocent doll in the pink and purple silk saree that Smitha had successfully managed to drape her in. Seeing her smiling face made me want to kill myself yet again for hurting her.

 Seeing her smiling face made me want to kill myself yet again for hurting her

"You look amazing," I reassured her, and she happily resumed talking to them.

"Yadhu...Are you still having second thoughts? Shreya's voice brought me back from my thoughts.

"Look at Kanika...she is so happy to marry me. What will happen when she realizes that I was the one who destroyed her life? I-I can't do this, Shreya ...please, she is so innocent..it's wrong. She doesn't deserve me, "I cried.

"Not again, Yadhu...We have discussed this earlier. You will marry her today...don't be a coward, Yadhu. Take responsibility," she scolded me harshly, which made me go back to the day she asked me to marry Kanika at the hospital.

Two weeks ago at the hospital.

"Marry her!" Shreya told me calmly, making a shiver go down my spine.

"Shrey...W-What are you saying? How can I ? She-she is innocent and thinks of me as her friend? I have already despoiled her life...How can I ruin it yet again by joining my name to hers? It's not fair...I cannot take advantage of her innocence yet again," I objected to the idea of marrying Kanika.

"Trust me, Shrey...I am ready to take responsibility for her as her friend as a guardian as long as I live...but marriage..that's impossible. I cannot drag her into my meaningless life," I told her the painful truth of my life.