Chapter 19: End of an era

Dean

Placing my bag down, I rubbed my tired eyes and frowned at the clock.

6:35pm.

Clenching my fists in frustration, I sighed out. I had been with James all day that Lucy was probably wondering where I was. This was the longest I had ever been without her.

"Hello sweetheart, I was just about to start dinner and"-

"Where's Lucy?" I interrupted Maria causing her to stop talking.

Pain flashed across her face as she gave me a sad smile.

Feeling overcome with dread, I went to rush past her but she quickly grabbed me by my arm.

"Maria, where is my sister!".

Maria sighed heavily and pointed to the living room.

Not sparing another second, I rushed past her and pushed open the heavy double doors only to come into a heart stopping scene.

"Happy birthday!!!" Everyone cheered with little barrels of confetti.

James jumped behind me and gently pushed me inside the room.

"James Richardson, you big oaf, you were supposed to be here 7 minutes ago" Isabella glared at him with her hands on her hips.

James smiled shyly before embracing her in a hug and looked down at Lucy who was already tucking into one of the cookies she had made.

Kneeling before my little world, I opened my arms up to her and smiled as she crashed her little body into my arms.

"Love you Dean Bean" she whispered as she grasped me by her little hands. They rested on my cheeks as her stern little eyes looked into mine as if she was checking I was okay.

Wiping my finger across her frown, I pressed my lips against her forehead and pulled her tightly so she was squished against my chest.

"I love you even more Lucy. No-one will ever love you more than I do. And did you do all this you little monkey?" I whispered as she covered her mouth to restrain a guilty giggle.

"Yes" she cheered before picking up some confetti and sprinkling it over my head.

I didn't even tell anyone it was my birthday. It didn't even matter to me. After discovering the truth of my parents and the man after me, my every thought was on how to keep Lucy safe. But in the midst of my stress and chaos, Lucy the sweetest girl had planned a surprise birthday party, I had no doubt that Maria, Isabella and James were involved too.

"Eat Dean Bean" she giggled as she pretty much shoved a cupcake into my mouth.

Rolling my eyes at the new nickname she had given to me, I chewed on the delicious cupcake with a huge smile on my face.

Lucy stood before me with her hands on her hips with her foot tapping against the carpet, the way she had seen me do when I was being impatient.

"Good?" she questioned as she nibbled on her bottom lip.

Lucy wanted to be everything. And she was. An excellent baker, an astronaut making her own rocket with pillows and cardboard boxes and she could quite possibly run for Prime Minister at 3 years old. She was the boss in this household, not me. She was strong, smart and didn't take crap from anyone.

"It's absolutely delicious! Thank you".

Lucy's stern little expression vanished as she placed her hands under her chin in excitement and started dancing around the room causing everyone to laugh.