Chapter 7: Anger

Dean

After a very large breakfast, we were checked over again before being taken back to the police station.

I had completely forgotten about the piece of paper I had found in my father's office.

There was a number, a number that would bring us to someone who would be able to help us.

"Our officers found a will that was left by your father. There was the name of a woman who would be your legal guardian, her name is Maria Harrison, do you know her?".

"Pat a cake, pat a cake" Lucy squished at my cheeks begging me with her puppy eyes to sing another favourite song of hers.

"Shh you little monkey. Just wait. And I'm not sure. Her name rings a bell".

The police officer nodded and wrote something down on his notepad.

"Officer, I forgot to mention that when I collected some important things from my father's office, I found a piece of paper with a number on it".

I handed it over to the officer and he stared down at the little piece of paper before looking over at the will that they found at the house.

"This is the exact same number as the one we have for Mrs Harrison".

I wasn't sure how to feel about having to live with someone that wasn't mum or dad, but if it meant having a roof over our head, food on the table and getting an education then I'd go just for Lucy.

"Ok. So let me explain what a legal guardian is. Basically your mother and father have chosen someone they know and trust to step in and have responsibility over you until you turn 18. You and Lucy would live with her, get an education and then when you turn 18 she no longer has legal responsibility over you. How do you feel about all this? I know there's a lot to take in but this is the best option for providing both you and Lucy with a stable, supportive and secure future".

Staring down at Lucy who was singing to herself, I watched as she wriggled on my lap with the biggest smile on her face.

The responsibility was in my hands. I wanted nothing more than a secure future for Lucy.

But I had so many concerns.

What if she was mean?

What if she started acting like our mum, replacing her?

"Dean?".

"Hm?".

"How do you feel about this?".

Hugging Lucy tighter to my body, I stared down at the number on the piece of paper and nodded.

"If our parents trusted her, then we can trust her. I only want what's best for Lucy".

The police officer nodded and turned to the man sat next to him.

"Okay, so we're going to get our legal team to contact her, explain the situation and get her down here as soon as possible to go through the final procedures".

The officer handed the piece of paper to the other man and he quickly left the interview room.

"So from the database, it seems Mrs Harrison lives on the outskirts of London. We're going to give her a call and get her to come here to firstly meet you and then go over some important legal information. It's about a 5 hour drive, so in the meantime you and Lucy will be taken to a nearby children's home and stay there until Mrs Harrison arrives. There's a car waiting for you outside when you're ready".

**************

Holding Lucy tightly in my arms, the kind lady guided us into the large home and closed the door behind us once we were inside.