Chapter 15: Hiding emotions

Dean

Sprinkling on the chocolate chips in the pancake batter, I hummed happily as I plated the crispy bacon alongside the sausages.

I absolutely loved cooking, it was something mum and dad had taught me from a very young age. I loved being independent and with help from the family cooks, I frequently made breakfast in bed for us all.

Even though James and Isabella had no idea what I was up to, I just hoped they wouldn't be too mad that I had raided their kitchen and started cooking without their permission. But I wanted to surprise them with a big breakfast to say thank you.

"Here, you can a pancake before they wake up, but shhhh don't tell them".

I turned to Lucy and handed her a small pancake on a plate and begged her to stay quiet about it.

Lucy copied my action and held her finger to her lips imitating my actions before attempting to shove the giant pancake in her mouth whole.

Kissing her on her forehead, I walked back to kitchen stove and began to plate up the foods.

"What is going on in here?".

I jumped around in fright and looked to the doorway where Isabella and James stood smiling at the sight before them.

"I um, I'm sorry. I just wanted to make you guys breakfast to say thank you. Please don't be angry".

James unwrapped his arm from Isabella's waist and walked towards me, concern and uncertainty marring his face.

"Dean, we would never be angry with you. This is your home as much as it is ours. I have to say I am surprised you did all this by yourself, but this is such a lovely gesture".

I could feel my frantic heart calm and all the worries and doubts in my head suddenly vanished as James put my anxiety to rest.

"I know I'm only 11, but I have been cooking since I could hold a wooden spoon obviously with immense help. Our parents have always encouraged independence and my mother had her own baking company. She shared her love and passion of cooking with me and it's grown to be a passion of mine".

Grabbing the plates piled with food, I turned back to everyone with the biggest smile on my face and gestured for them to come and sit down at the table.

"I can't believe you've done all this for us".

Isabella and James sat down and stared at all the food I had prepared with wide eyes like children at Christmas.

Lucy took another bite of her pancake before holding her half eaten pancake to James' mouth.

"That's very kind of you sweetie, but I have my own".

I watched as James pointed to his pancake and smiled, but Lucy wasn't having any of it.

"EAT" she yelled and glared at James until he reluctantly took a bit.

"I'm sorry, she loves to share and get's funny when people don't accept what she offers".

"Sorry? You certainly do not need to say sorry. A 3 year old that wants to share is a rare thing to see".

We all tucked into our food. James and Isabella frequently exchanged looks at one another as they ate before looking at us.

Playing with the last piece of pancake on my plate, I looked down at the food I had prepared and sighed. 

This is exactly how we used to have breakfast when we were a happy family. Mum and dad used to look at each other the way James and Isabella did. Lucy would often share her food even though all our plates were piled high with our food.